Sharpstar 76edph build quality

I've just received a brand new Sharpstar 76edph and was lucky enough to have a couple of clear hours to test it and would like some advice regarding what seem to be huge issues with it...

Firstly the dew shield is so loose that anywhere above about 35-40deg of inclination it slips down the body rendering it useless without modification, secondly the focus locking screw does not lock the focus tube at all, I dare not try and tighten it any harder or I feel like I will strip the threads. It makes no difference at all to the relatively little force it requires to move the focuser tube.

Any thoughts or advice would be much appreciated, to me these are issues I might accept from a well used scope in need of adjustment or a bottom rung price bracket scope, but for something fresh from the factory costing a fair amount it strikes me as appalling build quality.. I have a feeling it may just be a particularly bad batch I'm at the recieveing end of?

The optics in these are great so it's a real shame, but after a couple of hours of use I think unless there is something fairly major I'm missing with regard to both the focuser lock screw and dew shield it's probably going to end up being returned in favour of something better quality.

Edited by spiraleye

OK thanks folks, appreciate the confirmation that this isn't really on.... I will speak to the supplier and have it returned.

I'll be looking to replace it with something around the same FL, as am interesting in doing some imaging a little wider field than the 130pds will allow. Also keeping to under 4kg for the OT ideally as I'll be running it on one of the BTO Stellardrive EQ35 mounts from Dark Frame and have a fair bit of gear to be adding on so don't want to push the weight too far. Any recommendations much appreciated, budget not too much of a concern, as long as the quality is good :) 👍

Edited by spiraleye

6 minutes ago, 900SL said:

90mm f6 Stellamira triplet? 

Do you know what that looks lovely and seems to fit the bill. Just been looking at the William Optics GT-81 IV with 0.8 reducer and wonder if that might be a good bet as well. Anything good or bad to say about these WO scopes?

WO subcontract production to the same suppliers as TS etc. Then charge a premium for anodising and name. Some variation in QA and QC, 

I have TS 90mm f6 CF Apo, similar spec to the WO FLT91 and Stellamira 90. Excellent scope, 600 euro less than the WO badged version

I have a WO Redcat 51 and GT71, both good, but the 90 gets all the use with a 0.8 reducer

Edited by 900SL
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, 900SL said:

WO subcontract production to the same suppliers as TS etc. Then charge a premium for anodising and name. Some variation in QA and QC, 

I have TS 90mm f6 CF Apo, similar spec to the WO FLT91 and Stellamira 90. Excellent scope, 600 euro less than the WO badged version

I have a WO Redcat 51 and GT71, both good, but the 90 gets all the use with a 0.8 reducer

Thats good to know, the TS 90mm looks and sounds good, they only seem to to he available from either Altair or Teleskop, ideally I'll find something from FLO as they have been very good to me about the return. The stellamyra does look great, although at a premium over the TS 90mm and I'm not sure it has a lock on the dew sheild which tbh after the experience ive just had I'm considering as a basic design necessity in the long term. Really appreciate the advice thank you 🙏 

Edited by spiraleye