Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Dead Meade LX90

Hi,

Can any one offer some advice please.

I have a Meade LX90 GPS purchased from Telescope House in the mid 2000s.

I went to use it a couple of weekends ago only to find that the handset was dead.

When I checked the handset there was no response from any of the buttons. I checked the 12v supply to the handset at the handset end of the cable, on pins 1 & 8 ok. I also checked the pin outs on the pcb but could only detect the negative rail.

As there are no diagrams for the handset this was as far as I could go.

I am looking to replace the handset but I do not know if it is just the handset that is faulty or something on the associated motor or power boards.

thanks

29 minutes ago, Colinxdr said:

Hi, Thanks Olly,  I did think of that, but thought better of it incase it damaged theirs.

Did the handset LCD display illuminate but there was no response from the buttons, or was the handset dead completely?

If the terminals on the telescope port are not showing the 12v then check the soldered connections and tracks on the telescope end are okay. If they are and both tracks have continuity then it looks like something on the board itself has failed.

I googled "Autostar 497 circuit diagram" and got lots of hits.

To connect to a Planetarium on a PC you usually have to setup first with the handset, which you can't do.

That requires a USB-to-RS232 cable from a PC to the handset, called a Meade #505 cable (not #507)

But first post in the Cloudy Nights Meade section, lots of real Autostar experts there.

May be as simple as poor contacts on the ribbon to the display, fixes explained there.

Michael