Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Good night for fuzzies

Rusty Strings

Just spent the my best night ever looking for fuzzies. I decided to find as many DSO's in the region of Ursa major as I could, so I can now cross off M81, 82, 51, 101, 108, 109 and M13 to finish.

Really pleased as I found them quite easy to find using my Telrad

John

Hi Talitha

It's only a pathetic dozen or so. Despite having the scope for 2 years, I've mainly been observing Lunar/planetary stuff, it wasn't until I aquired the Telrad that star hopping made the DSO thing infinately easier.

Still the up side is that I've plenty left to find.

John

Nice one, John:).....Seeing as you found M108, see if you can spot M97, the Owl Nebula, nearby. Use a filter, UHC or ALP and use averted vision....You might get lucky and see the 'eyes' staring back at you. Even if you can't see the eyes, M97 is a quite big and completely round patch/smudge....Enjoy the rest of your Messier hunt!

Stef

They certainly do, I've never had much of a problem looking up and finding my way around the sky but I'm hopeless at making sense of an inverted image with more stars than I bargined for when using a magnifying finder, the Telrad sorted that out.

John

Archived