Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First image of the large supernova remnant G107.0+9.0

gorann

More SNR hunting with my RASAs. I stumbled on this one by accident when I was imaging NGC 7129 earlier this year and noticed some blue and red filaments near the edge of the image. After some digging I realized it was G107.0+9.0 which discovery was published in 2020 (https://academic.oup.com/mnras/article/498/4/5194/5904084). So now I have got around to image what may be the whole SNR.

This is as far as I can tell the first "proper" image of this SNR. It is about as large as the Spaghetti nebula but it is quite faint so easily overlooked unless you image from a dark site with a light bucket like a RASA.

Dual RASA8 rig with ASI2600MC and NBZ dual band (Ha+Oiii) filter. 136 x 5 min, so 11h 20´. Processed in PI and PS with the XTerminator tools.

Cheers, Göran

20231012 SNR G107 RASA1+2 NyPS16smallSign.jpg

Screenshot 2023-10-15 at 10.38.10.png

• Like 15
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, wimvb said:

Excellent! RASA does it again. You must have so many RASA widefield images by now that combined they should cover most of Cygnus and its neighbours.

Thanks Wim! Maybe but then I have to get better organized so I can find them all. However, I am working on a wide field right now with Samyang 135 images as a base and RASA data on the highlights.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, mirrorgirl1980 said:

Excellent image what doe i put into my hand set to find this?

Thanks! Ra 21h 57´, Dec 66° 28´. But it is very faint so not a great visual object, if that is what you aim for.

3 hours ago, tomato said:

Great capture! It has some similarities to the Spaghetti Nebula, and it looks just as faint! Was it a similar class of SN that produced  Simeis 147 I wonder?

Thanks a lot Steve! Yes, there is a lot to wonder about. I would guess this one is at least as old, maybe even older as it is quite faint. It is not as "clean" as the Spaghetti, which is exceptional, so I think some of the Ha there is just old fashioned Ha nebulosity that happened to be there when it exploded.

2 hours ago, tomato said:

The arcs look like they came from the SN but I agree the cloud formations at lower left could just be regular Ha nebulosity. You have done a great job to find this amongst the “background stuff”.

Thanks Steve! I keep searching for new things, but sometimes I feel the universe is not infinite, especially when I now and then realize that I just imaged something I imaged before.