Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQM-35 Pro + ASIAir + SkySafari

Hi all, I've just updated the mount that I use for my SpaceCat, from the venerable Star Adventurer Pro, to an EQM-35 Pro mount.

So far, I've been able to get most of it setup and running nicely.     Howver, I'm having problems getting SkySafari 7 to connect to my new setup.

When I connect using the hand controller and set Sky Safari to use the SynScan setting everything seems to work just fine without any issues.  However, this isn't how I want to run the scope, I'd much prefer to remove the hand controller and the need for 1/2/3 star alignment, so that I can enjoy platesolving instead, so I'm trying out EQ-Dir connections instead.

It appears that the EQM-35 Pro doesn't need an EQ Dir cable, as there's a USB socket on the mount controller, so plugging I've been able to connect to the AsiAir and controler the driver properly through that.  (Though because of the cloud tax, I've not been able to use it outside yet, so haven't been able to align the mount)

using only the AsiAri, everything seems to be working just find, regardless of whether I pick the EQMOD  or the EQMOD with SkySafari setting... until I try connecting from SkySafari.     Before I get into the SkySafari part, I just want to confirm that when using the SynScan or EQDir cable, the connection is at 9600bps, but when connecting directly to the mount, it's using 115200bps, instead.    I'd prefer to use the 115200 speed if I can, but will go with whatever works in the long run.

Ok, now for SkySafari.    I tell this to connect via wireless, and point it to the IP Address of the ASIAir.   Setting up the telescope as a "Meade LX200 Classic" the software starts to connect, but field of view changes to match the polar mode of the mount.  However, it does not stay connected and put up an error message sayins that it cannot communicate with the mount.

Has anyone managed to get this working, if so, are there any specific settings that I need to watch out for?

Okay, first the baud rates. The eqdir cables are generally set to 9600 with the chip built into the cable made t connect to the older 9600 mounts. The mounts with a USB setting have their own serial chip inside and hence can use a faster rate.

What stands out as wrong to me is using the Meade LX200 for a Syncan mount,  have you tried the Skywatcher Syncan option?  I believe the LX200 and Syncan are different protocols so would not expect them to work the same.

• Like 1

So I missed the part where you wanted to connect to the mount by the Asiair & SkySafari.

So to do that you'd need both the asiair & skysafari connected to the same network and tell Skysafari the ip address of the asiair and the port number (9624) - I had to google that and found the SGL post below in so doing.

Hope that helps.

Steve