Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory Build advise

RufCutRus

Hi 

Anyone out there built their own mini observatory? I'm going to build it on a concrete platform appx 2m square and was wondering what type of concrete paint/mezzanine paint/sealant I would need as this will be my floor! Thanks for any advise given :)

search the skies 🔭 

• 1 month later...

Just another Q. I'm trying to figure out what will be the best way for my TARDIS roof to be converted into a easy on and off roof? I don't want extra rails hanging off the back (sliding roof) as that would make the outside aesthetics look bad! My main issue will be waterproofing so I will need a fullproof idea! I did think about having 1 or 2 of the triangles on the Pyramid roof flip open BUT am concerned about leakage! I also did consider having the window sections on a flip open style BUT am concerned about field of view as there will be obstructions between the windows! I'm not bothered how tall my TARDIS is which will mean a high concrete mount being fitted. Any ideas would be great please :)

Thank you

You might be able to use a system like Pier-tech does for their observatories.

http://piertechinc.com/roll-off-roof-observatories/

They essentially use industrial sized slides like oversized drawer slides. I have seen a couple on "Cloudy Nights" that used this method. Pier Tech had a smaller discontinued model that look almost like what you're doing and the slides don't show when it's closed.

Clear skies!

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, bwj said:

You might be able to use a system like Pier-tech does for their observatories.

http://piertechinc.com/roll-off-roof-observatories/

They essentially use industrial sized slides like oversized drawer slides. I have seen a couple on "Cloudy Nights" that used this method. Pier Tech had a smaller discontinued model that look almost like what you're doing and the slides don't show when it's closed.

Clear skies!

That's awesome - if you  spend enough with them, they throw in a surface-to-air missile!
Or is that only for american customers?

image.png.6c2d543192d37f37a59ac50d3b6e5cbf.png

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Zermelo said:

That's awesome - if you  spend enough with them, they throw in a surface-to-air missile!
Or is that only for american customers?

image.png.6c2d543192d37f37a59ac50d3b6e5cbf.png

For anyone....anti satellite defense!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1