Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

ONLY 1 IMAGE WILL BE PROCESSED!!!!

SkyPhil

Hello

Do I need a certain camera to do this thing.

I am using a Canon 100D, I know not the best to be DS imaging with but it's all I have at the moment.

Anyway, no matter how many bias, flat, dark and light frames I take, no matter what format I use, RAW or JPG, no matter what exposure, ISO etc I use, DeepSkyStacker and Siril, both keep telling me they are only going to process one frame.

Would love some hints and tips before I bin this whole venture and go find something else to do.

Cheers

Phil

Forget the calibration frames for now. Are you loading all your light frames into DSS (so they're all listed in the bottom file list window and all are checked) or Siril (they're all listed in the file window and you've given a filename for the image sequence (best way to use Siril) or new file name master name)?

2 minutes ago, Elp said:

Forget the calibration frames for now. Are you loading all your light frames into DSS (so they're all listed in the bottom file list window and all are checked) or Siril (they're all listed in the file window and you've given a filename for the image sequence (best way to use Siril) or new file name master name)?

All loaded and checked.

All in separate files for Siril and using the One Shot Capture script.

Ta

I wouldn't use a script with Siril, learn to use it manually, you'll understand better the whole calibration process as well as learn how to troubleshoot, it's one of the reasons I moved to it from DSS as DSS does everything in the background. The layout of Siril is quite logical in that you work with its tabs from left to right in order.

As for DSS, please post a few screenshots of what you're doing, settings within the program etc.

29 minutes ago, Elp said:

With my Canon I had to pre convert all the RAW CR2 files from the camera into RAW TIFF before I could use DSS, using Canons Digital Photo Professional.

Cripes that must have taken ages.

So I have just a quick DSS stack with a few files and set the threshold to 5%, got a noisy image but at least somethings coming in.

So it seems the answer lies in the calibration files somewhere.

Cheers

33 minutes ago, Elp said:

With my Canon I had to pre convert all the RAW CR2 files from the camera into RAW TIFF before I could use DSS, using Canons Digital Photo Professional.

....also I use Darktable to convert my RAW's.

Not familiar with that, I just used the manufacturers software, doesn't take long at all.

Your star detection threshold just needs to be at a level where it's detecting maybe around 100-200 stars, too low (or high is it?) and it starts misinterpreting noise as stars and it'll take longer to register the frames as it's picking up more stars if it even can (this might have been your initial issue).

As @Elp says, dont bother with calibrating yet, just put in 2, or more, CR2   lights and lets get them stacking first ! Then we can add some Bias (dark subs at the shortest exposure you have, say 1/8000th). Leave flats till later :)

Opinion varies on the forum about Dark subs of the same exposure as Lights cos of the difficulty of getting them at the same sensor temperature in an uncontrolled camera like a DSLR, some opinion favours only Bias , , but that is for later , , ,  !

Good luck.

Edited by MalcolmP

1 hour ago, Elp said:

pre convert all the RAW CR2 files , , , before I could use DSS, 

Hi, may I ask - which version of DSS was that with ?

I have pottered about with DSS 4.1.0 & CR2(on an old slow  Windows7) for quite some time, but only recently started getting a bit more serious, (on account of ageing eyes !) and was going to upgrade to the latest DSS (as well as ASTAP) on a newer W10, but if support for Canon CR2 has been dropped in DSS maybe I will not bother !

Thanks.

Edited by MalcolmP

6 hours ago, MalcolmP said:

Hi, may I ask - which version of DSS was that with ?

I have pottered about with DSS 4.1.0 & CR2(on an old slow  Windows7) for quite some time, but only recently started getting a bit more serious, (on account of ageing eyes !) and was going to upgrade to the latest DSS (as well as ASTAP) on a newer W10, but if support for Canon CR2 has been dropped in DSS maybe I will not bother !

Thanks.

Hi it's the latest 5.1.3.

Thanks for the tips, looks like a lot of trial and error, mostly error.

Phil

8 hours ago, MalcolmP said:

CR2

It was more for my own benefit so I could scroll through the images faster via Windows image browser and open them in PS.

Siril is far more advanced than DSS and has useful tools such as background extraction (which will transform your images as it will do a good job of removing linear LP gradients) and banding reduction (which helps with dslr images) among other things, you could technically finish an image all within Siril if you wanted to.

DSS I only use for a quick stack to see a new setup result or something nowadays.

I kept getting exactly this, the problem, turned out to be it wasn't identifying enough stars (goodness knows why, there were hundreds). Even with the detection threshhold adjusted it couldn't. Manually identifying stars in every single picture was the only way I got round it. And yes, it took forever.

In DSS you can alter the number of stars detected.  If it is too high often the software can’t detect enough stars and will stack only 1 frame.  

It is a long time since l used DSS but it is in the settings somewhere  before you ask it to stack.  

Edited by carastro

When you hit check pictures and then go to Register checked pictures under its advanced tab you will have the star detection slider, set at 2% being the maximum number it will detect, on this tab there is also the "Reduce the noise by using a median filter" check box, unchecking that will also help detect more if the slider is not getting you enough stars., for my setup unticking that median filter box more than doubles the amount of detected stars. Always hit the compute number of stars before you start stacking, this will give you an idea of what is available.

It's also worthwhile running the photos through a program that allows you to blink check them before putting them into DSS. A decent program will auto stretch the images to give you an idea of what your looking at, there is no point putting cloudy pics into DSS. Don't worry about calibration frames until you can get a set of light frames run through first.

• Like 1