Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Asiair plus vs mini ?

Olli

Hi all , 

I am currently looking to upgrade my current set up by purchasing one of the above . I understand that the only difference is obviously the size and also does not include an Ethernet port for connection but are there any other major differences ? What would you recommend , Would I regret getting the mini instead of the plus?

The plus processes faster and has two of the usb ports as usb3 ports for faster planetary capture bandwidth, it also has a DSLR shutter release port, think an micro SD card port for memory expansion (or you could just use the usb ports and flash drive) and you can switch on and off and get realtime power usage feedback of the four 12v outs (on all the time in the mini).

Haven't tried the mini yet for planetary but I'd doubt they'd leave the video option in there for it if it wasn't capable. The mini you can also power with a usb power bank if you want and don't have too much power hungry devices connected (ie if you want to do solar but don't want to use a cooled camera or goto mount), it also switches on when connected to pc via this port, the plus still needs a 12v power connection to achieve the same thing for when you want to transfer files.

The mini has the best WiFi propogation out of all the airs made, the plus is okay but no where near as good. I had to screw off the aerial, add in a 1M sma extension cable to move the antenna further away from the unit and my scope setup and reconnect the aerial to the end of the cable. It just about makes a bitty and slowish WiFi connection to my phone to an upstairs room through brick. The mini no such issue, though I do have to move to a place of good signal, the signal remains strong, I can walk to the front of the house outside and still get a signal.

I've got both, prefer the mini.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Elp said:

The plus processes faster and has two of the usb ports as usb3 ports for faster planetary capture bandwidth, it also has a DSLR shutter release port, think an micro SD card port for memory expansion (or you could just use the usb ports and flash drive) and you can switch on and off and get realtime power usage feedback of the four 12v outs (on all the time in the mini).

Haven't tried the mini yet for planetary but I'd doubt they'd leave the video option in there for it if it wasn't capable. The mini you can also power with a usb power bank if you want and don't have too much power hungry devices connected (ie if you want to do solar but don't want to use a cooled camera or goto mount), it also switches on when connected to pc via this port, the plus still needs a 12v power connection to achieve the same thing for when you want to transfer files.

The mini has the best WiFi propogation out of all the airs made, the plus is okay but no where near as good. I had to screw off the aerial, add in a 1M sma extension cable to move the antenna further away from the unit and my scope setup and reconnect the aerial to the end of the cable. It just about makes a bitty and slowish WiFi connection to my phone to an upstairs room through brick. The mini no such issue, though I do have to move to a place of good signal, the signal remains strong, I can walk to the front of the house outside and still get a signal.

I've got both, prefer the mini.

Thanks Elp, that’s very helpful. That’s good to know that the mini can be powered by a usb power-bank which I am currently using and don’t fancy spending more money on another one. This might be a stupid question but how do you attach it to your set up? Does it come with straps or anything like that at all?

Both come with a mini dovetail mount foot, so fits that generic sized black saddle you might have sitting on top of your scope, or the centralised guidescope rail you might have. The plus has the one advantage here as it also has a side threaded hole (think it's a photo 1/4 inch threaded hole) so you can attach it anywhere, hanging below a dovetail for example if you needed to.