Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces

Hello

I'm looking at eyepieces for greater magnification. Does,for instance, 6.4mm refer to the diameter of the eyepiece lens. I wouldn't look forward to trying to squint my pupil through something the size of a pea.

Or is there a way of getting the same magnification with a larger lens (guessing costs for up of course)

Thanks for insights

Phil

21 minutes ago, SkyPhil said:

Hello

I'm looking at eyepieces for greater magnification. Does,for instance, 6.4mm refer to the diameter of the eyepiece lens. I wouldn't look forward to trying to squint my pupil through something the size of a pea.

Or is there a way of getting the same magnification with a larger lens (guessing costs for up of course)

Thanks for insights

Phil

The 6.4mm refers to the focal length of the eyepiece, although traditionally short focal length eyepieces had very small eye lenses.

The situation is somewhat different now however, as some short focal length eyepieces, such as the Baader Morpheus range, now have relatively large diameter eye lens, although as you intimated at a price.

John 

42 minutes ago, SkyPhil said:

Does,for instance, 6.4mm refer to the diameter of the eyepiece lens.

6.4mm refers to the focal length (fl) of the eyepiece. FL (telescope)/FL (eyepiece)= magnification.

42 minutes ago, SkyPhil said:

A barlow lens will increase the effective magnification of the eyepiece by the power factor of the barlow lens.