NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Spider vein screw showing on primary

I just got a new focuser (a dual speed low profile crayford) for my 200P and I started collimating it. I noticed that one of the spider vein screws is showing on my primary. I did not have this with the previous focuser. I measured their length and they are equal. Do I need to sort it? I follow astrobaby's collimation and there two screws there. Nothing to worry about?

It is between ~ 7 oclock. Collimation needs more tweaking as there is a tiny bit of tilt.

PXL_20230928_223649988.thumb.jpg.76cfdb833921044f4ba0c4d8bf9679b4.jpgPXL_20230928_231720948.thumb.jpg.7090bb248001a6d7e56dff8b85462147.jpg

Edited by Kon

12 minutes ago, Spile said:

I can’t see anything different to what I see through the same telescope. Can you crop to the part you are referring to?

It is this screw here. It never showed on my previous focuser. It may be nothing but I wanted to confirm as the others are not showing.

image.png.cdde5c5f688685b5500faed08bcc998f.png

Edited by Kon

Just now, wookie1965 said:

I think he is referring to this you can just see the screw I dont think it will interfere with the view though.

PXL_20230928_223649988.thumb.jpg.76cfdb833921044f4ba0c4d8bf9679b4.jpg

Thanks, we both posted at the same time. I took a better focused one.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mandy D said:

That is going to do nothing. Your focuser intrudes more than that when it is wound fully inwards.

Thanks Mandy. I thought so, it was just unusual and since I do a lot of planetary imaging I wanted to make sure it is all ok.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dweller25 said:

@Kon

Given the quality of your images I don’t think you have anything to worry about at all 👍

Thanks David. It was the 'new' view through the new focuser installed last night, thus my query. I will try Venus at lunch time and see what I get. If the weather holds I will be doing a star test tonight.

I really don't think you have much to worry about there, the primary mirror clips probably have more of an impact and that is very minimal too.

If it's really, really bugging you, you could get/make a primary mirror mask https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/backyard-universe-primary-mirror-mask-for-sky-watcher-200mm-newtonian-telescopes.html which some swear by and others think are pointless, they are really more for if the mirror has a turned down edge.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, doublevodka said:

I really don't think you have much to worry about there, the primary mirror clips probably have more of an impact and that is very minimal too.

If it's really, really bugging you, you could get/make a primary mirror mask https://www.firstlightoptics.com/misc/backyard-universe-primary-mirror-mask-for-sky-watcher-200mm-newtonian-telescopes.html which some swear by and others think are pointless, they are really more for if the mirror has a turned down edge.

Thanks. I will give it a rest 😁 as you are all saying that it is nothing to worry about. And you are right the mirror clips are larger than a tiny screw. I just need a star test to finalise the collimation.

• Like 1