NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Moving house - tips for finding astronomy friendly properties?

Leo S

8 hours ago, Tony Acorn said:

without a shop, school, pub, health facility and probably lacking mains water, sewerage and electricity

Well we dont have the school or the health facility and no mains gas supply but we do have the rest. You did miss a couple of important ones off your list though, in the remote areas you don't get, or we don't anyway, pavements, buses or cycle paths. Strange what you miss.

• Like 1

On 27/09/2023 at 12:35, Leo S said:

So we are currently in between properties and on the verge of selling the old house. I have been looking (around the north cost of Norfolk) for a suitable property to move to, but not really seeing anything great in our price range, so will probably have to widen the search and look in other areas.

I was wondering if anyone has any tips for helping to find a good property, ie. one that will work well for astrophotography. Of course I have used light pollution maps to check the suitability of potential properties, but perhaps there are some other tricks I might be missing?

While a reasonably dark sky is important to me, I specialize in imaging meteors and fireballs with video cameras, so good views in as many directions as possible (ie few obstructions blocking the view of the horizon) are more of a priority. I was hoping for one in a green zone (ideally), but so far what I've found that is suitable is a bit pricey, so may have to compromise there!

Possibly a bit late, since this thread was started nearly a year ago, but if you haven't moved yet it's also worth checking the local plan and recent planning permissions when you find a house. The house next door to us (with a large 1/4 acre garden) sold to a developer who put four houses on there. I've completely lost my view to the south, and now have neighbours who like to leave lights on and curtains open illuminating my garden. We've also had a few large housing estates spring up on the edge of the town in areas that previously would have given reasonable dark skies, so check the council's local plan for any designated future large scale builds.

• Like 1