Seestar S50 images

M40

20 minutes on each of the crescent nebula and M81. No processing outside that done by the seestar. 

Bought at IAS and this was first light out of the box on the same night it was bought. 

Pretty pleased with my purchase 

1726348439082.jpg

1726346720810.jpg

• Like 11

The Helix, taken on Sept 12th. It took me a few attempts on different nights as at a maximum altitude of 15 degrees from my location, there is a lot of murk and too few stars to guide on.

All from the same image with a little processing on the phone's camera software.

20240912_025358.thumb.jpg.eefe954fd038ace2c54a52aa7bf96d50.jpg

20240912_025553.thumb.jpg.1cd3366e13053542693212ed744fc2a5.jpg

20240915_225813.thumb.jpg.8f0c673c7e65a18eaa474447029bfcae.jpg

• Like 10

9 hours ago, AstroBlackadder said:

Today's Moon - 20% best frames from 1 min RAW file.

Seestar S50 - Registax, AutoStakkert!, Affinity Photo

2024-09-29-021700-Lunar-RAW_opis maly.png

Before the last Seestar software upgrade I had never had any problems finding the Moon, it went to it spot on every time.

I tried it a couple of nights ago after the update of course, and it didn't get even close on several attempts.  The next morning, I tried the Sun and that was as quick finding it as it always has been.  I'll have to look into it more, but it's a little annoying.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Before the last Seestar software upgrade I had never had any problems finding the Moon, it went to it spot on every time.

I tried it a couple of nights ago after the update of course, and it didn't get even close on several attempts.  The next morning, I tried the Sun and that was as quick finding it as it always has been.  I'll have to look into it more, but it's a little annoying.

Yesterday, Seestar also had a problem finding the "small" Moon - I set the telescope manually on the iPad.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

After a long while of cloudy skies, there was a clearing last night for 5h. I decided to go for a new target, which is also very rarely seen from the Seestar, the Cave Nebula, C9. This was 3.5h of 20s subs, stacked and processed in Pixinsight without Drizzle. I am currently stacking the x3 Drizzle version, but the overall plan will be to go for 10h, based on these first results. This was also the first process of this target, and usually it takes a few runs to really get to know the target and its specifics when processing.

Image174.png

• Like 7

10 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

And that's in native alt az?

You've done that great 😃 

Thanks! Yes at the moment I am still recording everything in alt-az mode. I might look into EQ mode for Winter.

• Like 1

As a beta tester, I was able to install the latest beta app version, which features an improved mosaic function, that now has better speed and efficiency. 

Below is the result from last night mosaic testing on the Soul Nebula. In total there are 1300 subs over the whole frame, stacked and processed in Pixinsight. 

This is just a test process as I still have to add more data and clean the background, and probably do a different color palette. But I just wanted to test the quality and colors of the stack, and decided to share the result anyway.

Image238-1.png

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Recretos said:

As a beta tester, I was able to install the latest beta app version, which features an improved mosaic function, that now has better speed and efficiency. 

Below is the result from last night mosaic testing on the Soul Nebula. In total there are 1300 subs over the whole frame, stacked and processed in Pixinsight.

Looks great, a couple of questions:

1. How many separate images is the mosaic composed of? Can you specify a 4x2 size for example?

2. Do you know if the mosaic feature works in scenery mode?

Thanks.

1 hour ago, John_D said:

Looks great, a couple of questions:

1. How many separate images is the mosaic composed of? Can you specify a 4x2 size for example?

2. Do you know if the mosaic feature works in scenery mode?

Thanks.

This is composed of 1300 subframes, which are captured at a slightly different location each time, and cover the whole area that you predefine in the sky atlas, and keeps shooting subs over your defined area (look at the attached images) until you stop.

Mosaic doesnt work for scenery, as those images are usually much easier to merge into a panorama in even simple and free software.

Screenshot_20241007_145417_Seestar.png

Screenshot_20241007_145416_Seestar.png

Screenshot_20241007_145447_Seestar.png

Edited by Recretos
Typo
  • Thanks 1

This is a first image of the Soul Nebula, from my brand new test workflow for dual-band Seestar data in Pixinsight, using a different approach to channel split and re-combination. It is a proof of concept, so it's not perfect, but I feel it has the potential to provide better results than my normal workflow. Have to keep evolving...

The total number of frames is 2000, over the whole mosaic area, which is larger otherwise, as this is a crop. 

Untitled-288.jpg

• Like 8

My latest reprocess of the Fireworks Galaxy with 7h of Integration from B3/4. I was using some new techniques, including a synthetic flat frame. Synthetic flats enabled me to leave a bit less dark background, and thus some more fainter details around the galaxy came out, without the rainbow circular pattern in the background, like seen in the old image (added also below). The old image was processed in May I think. It has color aberrations in the background, so I had to darken the sky too much, and thus also reducing some fainter details around the galaxy. I added both images for comparison. The new image is the one without the watermark text, and should be on top.Image4111b.thumb.png.8d697b8e4e2d035c7a19a19b380f4a85.png

FIreworks_Galaxy_full_view_SeestarS50_Andrej_Flis.thumb.png.16c25e273be9770993621206a4deb092.png

Edited by Recretos