Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQM-35 mount stuck with tripod

Hi All,

I recently purchased a EQM-35 mount from Sky Watcher Store on Amazon. During one night, when I finished using it and tried to take out the central locking shaft that connects the tripod with the mount, I found it's totally stuck. I tried a few ways but there is no way I can separate them. I suspect that it's because there are some glue leftovers on the screw and under the temperature of Death Valley it melted and condensed again, but not 100% sure. Does anyone have similar situation and know what do to with it? Thanks for any suggestion!

Steven

What have you already tried  ?

1) The lower locking knob unscrews and allows the tray to be removed ?

2) The upper locking knob can be released ?

3) But the shaft itself refuses to unscrew ?

There's no reason for glue in that area during manufacture, but who knows.

Screw two nuts onto the thread on the lower end of the shaft, and lock them together.

Then try to unscrew the nut nearest the top of the shaft.

As the two nuts are locked together the shaft should start to unscrew, not the nuts.

Michael

• Like 2

On 03/09/2023 at 00:42, michael8554 said:

What have you already tried  ?

1) The lower locking knob unscrews and allows the tray to be removed ?

2) The upper locking knob can be released ?

3) But the shaft itself refuses to unscrew ?

There's no reason for glue in that area during manufacture, but who knows.

Screw two nuts onto the thread on the lower end of the shaft, and lock them together.

Then try to unscrew the nut nearest the top of the shaft.

As the two nuts are locked together the shaft should start to unscrew, not the nuts.

Michael

Hey Michael, as you said both locking knobs can be removed, it's just the shaft that cannot be unscrewed. I'll try your way, sounds like a clever idea!

On 03/09/2023 at 01:29, Skipper Billy said:

If its a steel bolt screwed into alloy try heating the assembly up - hairdryer or heat gun - not a blowtorch!!! Or put it out in the sun.

Alloy expands much more than steel when heated and it should release its grip.

Hey Billy, I tried that with a mini hairdryer, didn't help much. Not sure if I need to heat it up with more power?

13 hours ago, Mandy D said:

@Steveyzy I think it is probably time to contact Skywatcher about these problems. I am sure they will be helpful. My Skytee 2 mount had to be replaced when a thread stripped in the casting. It was no problem, but took a couple of weeks as no UK stock.

My supplied counterweight had too small a bore to fit on the supplied shaft. Left me scratching my head but I had other spares from other skywatcher mounts to do its job.

On 13/09/2023 at 13:51, Veloman said:

I found the central locking shaft on my CG5 had locked solid, it yielded to a small "Gator Strap Wrench" which I find helps undo the tops on pickled onion jars too!

Rob

sounds good, I'll try this one!