Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Pretty rubbish Jupiter, but at least it animates

powerlord

Wednesday night I had a go with Jupiter, but loads of high clouds, plus rubbish seeing - it was wobbling about like a jelly.

This was the best I managed - a composite with the moons, and a wee animation - which at least caught the shadow of ganymede coming over jupiter - which is first time I've seen that.

I've left the kit set up, and maybe I'll get another chance this month - I rigged up a daylight aligned cheapo 400mm scope and asi120 as the main camera in asiair, stuck on top of my C925 with a baader 2.2x barlow. I then used the asiair to platesolve and centre jupiter in that scope to get me in the rough area for the big un. But I still had to remove the barlow and try with just my asi224 to centre, then refit barlow.

I used firecapture on my macbook air to then capture about 10k frames at 200fps 5 or 6 times. The best set (5% of those) is in the composite shot. But I took the pipp/autostak/reg6 output from each session and strung em together in a wee gif for kicks.

So.. not great but glad I got up at 2.30am to give it a go.

jupiterwithmoons.thumb.jpg.71f0584251e43fc2145aec0b119bbaa0.jpg

jupiter.gif.77b949ba647cb24b1b07a7f3be450738.gif

• Like 5