NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is it possible to enter star coordinates into Starsense explorer?

Bloodline

We’ve just named a star for a friends birthday and have been given the right ascension and declaration coordinates for it. Is it possible to enter these into the Starsense explorer app to find it or do I need to upgrade to SkySafari to do this?
Any help would be appreciated thanks.

23 minutes ago, AstroMuni said:

Can you not search for the star in the list provided on the app?

If you had the stars HD catalog number you are able to search for that and it might be in there.  Or any other identifying information.  It probably won't have the name your mates name as an object you can search for though.

14 hours ago, Bloodline said:

We’ve just named a star for a friends birthday and have been given the right ascension and declaration coordinates for it. Is it possible to enter these into the Starsense explorer app to find it or do I need to upgrade to SkySafari to do this?
Any help would be appreciated thanks.

Do you have the reference number for the star? These companies sometimes “give” folks very faint stars that will need large telescopes to see. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bosun21 said:

You can’t put coordinates into the Starsense app. I think you would need to try sky safari but some of those named stars are obscure ones and may not even be in the index.

Ok thank you. I think it would be very hard to find it has a magnitude of 12.263 but if I could put the coordinates in at least I’d be looking at the right piece of sky.

Which skySafari would you recommend the plus or the pro version? I’m only a beginner so if I don’t need to pay out for the pro version I’d rather not.

How about finding the star on Stellarium, where you can enter the co-ordinates.  If it's near a more well known object then you can focus on that area of sky, or even show them their star on Stellarium first.

If you want to use Starsense/SkySafari for that note that the IOS Sky Safari has the starsense option built in but the Android update does not yet have it. You need SkySafari Plus (or the Pro) to get the option.  I can't see an option to enter the co-ordinates in SKySafari but then I'm not that familiar with it to say for sure that it is not possible.

• Like 1

On 01/09/2023 at 13:49, Bloodline said:

I think it would be very hard to find it has a magnitude of 12.263 but if I could put the coordinates in at least I’d be looking at the right piece of sky.

If you can post the details of the star here, one of us could take a screenshot of the skymap and send to you.

22 hours ago, AstroMuni said:

If you can post the details of the star here, one of us could take a screenshot of the skymap and send to you.

Thank you for the offer but it comes with an email allowing you to view in various websites like NASA and Google sky

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bloodline said:

to view in various websites like NASA and Google sky

In that case, I would suggest that you use Starsense to go the nearest star that is named in Google sky/NASA and then manually move the scope until the 'named star' is in FOV.