NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CPC 1100 Advice/Tips needed!

Hey all! I’m new to all of this, but here we go!

So my grandfather was an astronomer and loved watching the night skies, but unfortunately he passed many years ago. His Telescope (CPC 1100) was handed down to me, along with all the equipment he used. I’m very new to it all, and I’m not quite sure what is what. I’ve taken the telescope out quite a few times to see if I could view anything (which it worked and is incredible) but I’d like to know everything possible about my telescope. Assume that I know pretty much nothing 😂 any and all advice/tips are welcomed and appreciated! I live in Northern Cali. 

Hello! I once had the CPC1100 for a short period before I realized it is more scope than I needed considering it’s size and weight. This scope is a great, 11 inches of aperture (size of mirror) and a long focal length (distance the light travels within the telescope before it is focused at your eye). It has GPS which allows you to find and track objects, has many options for accessories like cameras and such and from my little experience with it I was happy with the optical quality. Have you heard of a gentleman on youtube by the name of Ed Ting? Ed is a very well know. Amateur astronomer and reviewer of telescopes, I recommend you have a look at this video where he basically sums up the CPC1100 in detail.

• Like 2

If you don't have the user manual for the CPC, you can download it.

I have a smaller version, and find it particularly suited to planetary imaging, as well as general viewing. I have also used mine for imaging small planetary nebulae. I have fitted it with two finders, a red-dot for coarse aiming, and a 9x50 RACI finder for fine aiming.  The Nexstar 'Precise Goto' menu item is very useful for locating smaller fainter objects.  If you don't have a dew shield (essential in UK) you can buy or make one. (If you have deep pockets, a dew heater ring and black aluminium dew-shield are available. The metal dew-shield looks very smart - saw one at at astronomy show.)

You can hook the mount (actually the handset) via cable to a laptop, which allows you to control the telescope via various programs.

I suggest you read up on Celestron SCT material generally - this may uncover some useful topics and tips.

Check out nexstarsite.com.

Your mount or handset might benefit from a software upgrade, especially if the GPS doesn't work, but remember the engineer's old saw "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it." 🙂

Edited by Cosmic Geoff
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Your mount or handset might benefit from a software upgrade, especially if the GPS doesn't work, but remember the engineer's old saw "If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it." 🙂

Totally agree!

I think my CPC925 handset has an update available but I’m loathed to do it as it seems to work fine and I really don’t won’t to risk wrecking it.

@Julian MOne thing that I found helped make alignments a 7 minute job was to ditch the finder scope and just use  a red dot finder, which I find much quicker and easier to use and always accurate enough to get the star in the eyepiece ready for the final alignment.

Its a fine scope but watch your back when moving it! 😂

Edited by Andy ES