Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Veil Nebula with ASKAR FRA 300

iantaylor2uk

Good clear night yesterday in the Northwest of England. 

Managed just over 3 hours of imaging on the Veil Nebula with the ASKAR FRA 300. Camera used was a ZWO 071 MC Pro (gain=200, sensor cooled to 0 C) and I used two minute exposures, and took 100 subs, and stacked the best 90 of them with DSS. I also used an L-Enhance filter for this target. 

Full image is below with some close ups of the Eastern Veil, Western Veil and Pickering's Triangle. I do like the wide field view from the ASKAR FRA 300. 

Veil Nebula v10 20th August 2023.jpg

Veil Nebula v7 20th August 2023.jpg

Veil Nebula v8 20th August 2023.jpg

Veil Nebula v9 20th August 2023.jpg

• Like 5

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Very nice indeed. I would do some background removal so you get a darker, and colour neutral background, which increases contrast on those images.

Thanks for the comments Michael , I'll have a further play around with the image - I must admit a personal preference of having a more "natural" image. I find if you darken the background too much the final image can look over-processed - although I appreciate there is a bit of a fine line and some personal judgement involved, and also different people may have different views. I am reasonably happy with the final image although it could maybe do with the red dialled down slightly. I also much prefer to leave the stars in rather than do starless images. 

I just popped in to have a look Chester since I am yet to capture the Veil at all (I'm a newbie re photography anyhow)  but  had to say, this latest processed pic is a huge improvement since you have a far more natural sky colour and the veil 'pops' with such a background.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mark2022 said:

I just popped in to have a look Chester since I am yet to capture the Veil at all (I'm a newbie re photography anyhow)  but  had to say, this latest processed pic is a huge improvement since you have a far more natural sky colour and the veil 'pops' with such a background.

Thanks for the comment Mark - by the way I'm not called Chester, that is where I live. 

• Haha 1

Yes, tricky isn’t it knowing how much to dial down the background?  My preference is for the second version, although possibly at the expense of some extremely faint red nebulosity. I guess you’d only really be able to pull that out with hugely more subs. 

It’s very nice to see a wide field of these nebulae though.  You’ve captured them very well. 

Edited by Ouroboros
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, iantaylor2uk said:

Thanks for the comment Mark - by the way I'm not called Chester, that is where I live. 

That's what happens when you're in a rush! LOL Nice part of the world, Chester, however, Ian!

• Like 1