Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AZ mount for Intes Micro MN66 ...suggestions

godra

Hi

I do have IM MN66,fantastic scope in every way...little bit heavy but I don't mind. Only problem is that I have only GM8 mount and possition of focuser is very frustrating when you use it on german mount. What is your suggestions for some mount alternative....I have some AltAz mounts( with tracking) in mind but I would like to hear your thoughts). I am visual only....

Thank you

Edited by godra

• godra changed the title to AZ mount for Intes Micro MN66 ...suggestions

I've owned the MK66, great scope.

If you can find one, I would recommend the Vixen Super Polaris mount..why? because the engineering is great, and because you can use the SP mount in both Altazimuth and Equatorial modes.

A Vixen GP (Great Polaris) has a higher weight capacity, but can only be used in Equatorial mode.

Although the MK66/67 scopes are solid, they are also short, so either of the above mounts should take them very easily.

Hope that helps,

Dave

Is motorized mount mandatory?

What would be the budget?

I'm thinking either SkyTee2 on low budget end or Rowan AZ 75 / AZ 100 depending on how much you want to spend and if you want to have some margin for future upgrade payload wise.

Motorized / goto versions, I'd look at AZ-EQ5-GT or AZ-EQ6-GT, again depending on budget and future weight requirements (and possibly weight of the mount itself).

For budget tracking variant, I'd consider adding steppers to SkyTee2 in some sort of DIY alt/az configuration

If you are prepared to spend, the Panther TTS 160 is by all accounts a superb tracking alt Az.

Also agree with the Skywatcher Az-Eq mounts suggestion.

If you can live without tracking /go-to, you can add the Tele Optic Ercole into the mix of manual mounts which I use quite often.

http://alpha-lyrae.co.uk/2015/05/03/tele-optic-giro-ercole-alt-az-mount-review/

Dave,it is IM mak-newt in guestion(MN66). Much heavier( around 10kg with accesories) and more length then MK67 which is great scope too but with lesser mount requirements.

Vlaiv,DirkSteele thanks for suggestions. My IM MN66 is primarily planetary scope and can give very high magnifications( 250x-350x),seeing permiting. So I definitivly need AZ mount with tracking( with or without Goto). My budget is around 1000€. 

That budget given the weight and length of the scope does not present many choices.

The iOptron Az Pro has a load capacity of 15kg but as we all know the length of the tube also comes into play. I have used an 8kg refactor on mine which is about 80cm long. Not sure how it would handle your scope.

Have you considered rotating tube rings as an alternative? That way you can easily position the eyepiece. You may need to shop around as not as common as they should be. Like these though these are not available anymore.

http://scopestuff.com/ss_arrs.htm

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, godra said:

So I definitivly need AZ mount with tracking( with or without Goto). My budget is around 1000€. 

That is tall order. Mount that will handle (hopefully happily) 10Kg of scope and track for 1000e.

I'd consider one of two options:

SkyTee2 + DIY stepper motors and a custom controller. I know people have adopted steppers to SkyTee2 because it is actually EQ5 inside (internals / worm gear are from EQ5) so motor kits for EQ5 fit, but I'd probably go fully DIY.

Other would be to go with dob mount with tracking.

You can get ready made dob that tracks and just swap the OTA - sell one that came with scope and use dob mount for tracking.

Other is to DIY. Here you can DIY the whole thing. Probably best budget wise - it is just a question if you like the dob mount with 6" F/6 scope (a bit short - but not as short as F/5).

• Thanks 1