Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Remote setup advice

Phillyo

Good evening folks.

I/we are in the fortunate position that maybe 2 years from now a friend and I will be able to put forward approx £20k (total) for a remote set up, somewhere abroad (location as yet undecided). As I have only ever used an EQ6-R Pro level mount, I'm looking for advice as to some things I should be looking for in a mount for remote astrophotography. I don't want to go crazy, so no 10Micron 2000 etc lol. I'm also looking for advice from people that have a remote set up for the little things that we often don't think about that we'll need to purchase for full remote usage, think's like the ability to take darks/flats etc.

I'd also be interested in what people would spend the £20k on with regards to the big purchases. Telescope/camera matching, mount obviously, mono/osc? Filters etc.

We're probably going to aim for the fairly widefield side of astro to begin with, for nebula etc. No more than 1000mm F/L, probably closer to around 600mm or so, again advice would be very much appreciated.

And I guess anything else I haven't thought to ask :)

Thank you in advance for any tips or advice given. We have a lot of thinking to do but have plenty of time to make decisions, I just want to make the RIGHT decisions as I know technology is moving forward pretty fast at the moment.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...

I set up my observatory for remote operation a couple of years ago, albeit in the back garden rather than abroad!  I documented the project in the SGL posts a below.  The observatory can now be operated from anywhere in the world, which is particularly useful when I am away on work.  Whilst I did the installation myself, the wiring diagram, the parts and a great deal of valuable advice was provided by Rupert at Astrograph (www.astrograph.net).  He does a lot of telescope hosting in Spain and Chile and really knows his stuff and would be a good place to start.

The best advice I can give is have it at a well managed site. It very easy to remotely turn off your PC rather than restart it. Good to have someone local to turn it back on.

Second best have a roof that can shut safely what ever the position of your scope.

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1

^^ Dead right about the roof. If it can collide, one day it will collide. 

I host six robotic instruments. We've had 10 micron, Avalon Linear, Avalon M Uno, EQ6 and Mesu 200 mounts in residence The Mesu is the very clear winner on reliability. Including mine, there are four of them here now and, touch wood, they never go wrong. 

As Andrew says, you need someone competent on site. Remote from an untended site is, in m view, a non-starter and very risky. I'm called up to the sheds several times a week because things just do go wrong, often inexplicably. Mostly it's switching things off and on again, unplugging USBs, putting mounts back on their park positions, etc.  

Personally I would avoid all scope-top mini computers. I've replaced quite a few and of various makes. I think the best solution is a desk-top machine with lots of USB ports, so no hubs of any kind. I don't know how fast internet connections are in the rest of the world but it might be worth planning to do your stacking and calibrating on the observatory computer so you only export a final file. We have no choice at my place.

Another very unreliable item is the UPS. They tend to have shortish lives and they don't like getting hot. Reliably clear skies and high daytime temperatures often go together. You do need them but be prepared to replace them regularly. Once a year might be the average.

There are good providers in Spain nowadays. They're not cheap but you'd be surprised by how much work is involved in running a robotic setup.

Olly

It might be worth listing the key software and kit I used.

Software

Voyager automation software - also linked to observatory provided weather / roof control

The Sky X telescope control and plate solving

Astroimagej calibration and photometry

VPN access software

Kit relevant drivers and access often via browser

Hardware 

Paramount ME II - robotic mount fails safe

Atlas focuser - electronic focuser

IP power switch - switching kit on and off as needed

UPS 

Back up disc system

Electronic filter wheel 

On Axis Guider

Cameras and telescope

People

Dave and Michelle at PixelSkies  - invaluable. 

Regards Andrew 

Edited by andrew s
  • Like 1