Solar filter in a filter wheel?

AstroKriss

Hi folks, might be a silly question but does anyone use a 1.25” solar filter for imaging the sun in a regular filter wheel? 

is this safe to do or not, wouldn’t want to damage kit.

in past I just used a manual solar filter cap on end of scope. But as scope is now in my obsy, would be good to remotely be able to just switch from solar and DSO as required :) 

Will be used with 294mc pro and 80ED refractor. 

Thanks 

Presumably you have a fully automated observatory? That being roof off by power. Objective lens cap removal by power?
If not, you still have to visit the observatory.
Is fitting the objective filter a big task if you are there?

How will your 1.25" filter like handling all the energy from an 80mm objective? I suspect heat and fracture are a big risk.
Or maybe a certainty?

Accidents like the wrong filter wheel position will happen.
As you are going to blast a replaceable camera, rather than your (non replaceable) eyeball, why not try it.

My choice for white light viewing is a Herschel wedge, which requires a visit to the observatory😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

My choice for white light viewing is a Herschel wedge, which requires a visit to the observatory😁

I'll second the Herschel wedge. I've yet to get mine, but it is planned.

@AstroKriss Why not invest in another scope that you can leave permanently configured for solar?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

An unprotected, 80mm objective will fry a small filter close to focus. Even a modern, reflective one. A Herschel wedge dumps most of the heat and light gathered by the objective. It usually needs further heat or light reduction filters for comfort and/or safety. Without a wedge, a front mounted external SOLAR filter and probably further filters, would be VITAL for safety.

The idea of a remote observatory, playing Russian Roulette with the sun's focused heat, terrifies me! It might lead to a child or untrained adult being permanently blinded if they should ever gain access to the kit. Whether accidentally or illegally. Or, if you are lucky, just an expensive camera being fried to a costly death and possibly a catastrophic fire to follow. As the camera eventually heats up and catches fire. Or sets fire to nearby plastic items or cables.

Even two telescopes, side by side on the same mounting, need 1000% guaranteed protection from the sun for both. Even if you have remote fitting and removal of external SOLAR filters. Or external BLOCKING PLATES on the dark sky telescope. You'd still need continuous, remote, visual monitoring of the kit and observatory. And instant and easy access in the event of an unforeseen problem.

You should never mess around when it comes to solar, only do things which are certain and within your control. You risk damage to equipment, surroundings and possibly worse to yourself.

• Like 1