Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Opinions On Scope

I have not bought a telescope as yet, currently still reading and trying to learn the sky with binoculars. However I'm sure like

every beginner I'm searching the net looking for a decent scope to start with. It's quite daunting , there's that much to choose from.

I have approx £300.00 to spend and have seen a couple of scopes I keep getting drawn back to this one though

Bresser Bresser Messier advanced 130mm reflector starter kit

What's the general consensus on this scope? And the scopes and skies site?

Any help would be most appreciated.:)

I think you could do better for the money tbh. For example this: Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 . Bigger scope, nice mount that you can easily buy motors or a GOTO upgrade. Also leaves with you a few quid left over for a few essential accessories like a moon filter for example.

I haven't had any trouble with Scopes n' skies (I've only dealt with them twice though), but there are plenty of people who have. They do not have the best of reputations, let's put it that way!

Tony..

Not a clue on reflectors, but what about this instead, it's cheaper and has a larger aperture ? FLO is linked to from the banner at the top of the forum too. As for SnS... Have a search on here, there's quite a few threads on them.

Are you sure you need a tripod-mounted scope? Have you considered a dobsonian? My first scope was an 8-inch dob and I didn't regret it - set-up in no time, good for planets and deep-sky alike. Only disadvantage is that you've got to keep pushing it to keep track of objects (and can't do long-exposure photography).

I hope you try "astrobuysell.com/uk"

Right now theres a £160 150mm skywatcher with EQ3-2. A bargain.

The "six inch" Newtonian is not only a good starter, but a lifetime telescope too.

Archived