Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Portability.

Hi I'm a newcomer to this site and at the moment researching different Telescope/mount combination's that would be suitable for planetary astrophotography while at the same time reasonably transportable for darker sky locations. I have a budget of £5000 for the mount and telescope and realise I will need more for all other accessories. I'm an enthusiastic begginer and may well want to move on to deep sky some time in future. I'm currently thinking CGX 9.25 edge hd and wondering if there are any comparable but lighter options I should be considering ?

• Like 1

If you want portability think about a harmonic drive mount as you don't need the counterweights which make moving setups about awkward. Also a thick leg carbon fibre tripod. If you don't mind the bulk the astro stainless steel tripods aren't bad, but all my setups are built around portability so I've been there and done it.

The 9.25 is considerably heavier than the C8 so I'd suggest the latter, your mount requirements will also be on the lighter side, even a C6 is very capable which I own.

If you're certain you'll be in it long term look at the serious purchases, otherwise start small as it gets expensive very very quickly, it can also be intensely frustrating at times.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

My recommendation and super portable having owned them (I actually have 2 AzGtis now, 1 for eq and one for alt az)  would be the skywatcher Skymax 127 on the AzGti mount, powered by a talentcell battery pack the size of a cigarette packet and last ages. 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/telescopes-in-stock/sky-watcher-skymax-127-az-gti.html

Or possibly combining the Skymax 127 with the star adventurer gti 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/equatorial-astronomy-mounts/sky-watcher-star-adventurer-gti.html

Both controlled by smartphones or tablets. 

The Skymax 127 gives amazing contrast lunar views and lovely planetary views. I've always regretted selling my 127 mak. 

Both much cheaper than your budget. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
Addition

If you are looking to expand into deep sky AP at a later date, then make sure you invest in a decent mount. The newer harmonic mounts are certainly good for portability and load carrying. In terms of scope, I would not put a 9.25 in the 'portable' category. In reality there are loads of options including Maks, SCT's, CC's all of which would be usable. In general, the SCT's seem to be the 'goto' choice for most planetary imagers.

I think the real choice is how portable you want it to be. The larger the set-up, the more effort is required to get it moved and running. With the exception of the suggestion by @AstroNebulee which is genuinely a portable set-up, the others are simply 'moveable'.

• Like 2

You don't need to go to remote dark sites to do planetary if, as you said, that's your intention. Likely need to get out of the city for better seeing, that is true.

For planetary the cpc version of the scope with the tabletop tripod might be your best portable friend. Deep sky is a different story, as above suggested, check the user feedback on the various harmonic drive mounts.