Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

iOptron AZ Mount Pro

Hello friends, i've been away for a while.  Health, etc.

Hope you're all well.

Nights will start to draw in again soon and I want a new mount.  I think i'm going to sell my AZeq6 (I dont use the EQ at all and I'm not sure i'm ever going to now) and I would like something simple and quick to set up, for use primarily with my FLT132 or maybe occasionally my 9.25. 

The AZ pro from iOptron has always been on my watch list and I think i'm about to buy it - From FLO of course.

Before I do, anything else I should compare and consider?  Any good or bad points I should know about re the iOptron?

Regards to all

River

I have one and like it. I never bother levelling it properly and after it's auto calibration, it tracks well enough for high power visual. So, quick and easy to set up if your not looking for maximum tracking or goto accuracy (I never use the goto).

I like that it's alt/az. I like that it's very stable. I like that is got an internal battery. It carries all my scopes easily (largest is ~6.5kg). I like that you can mount dual scopes. It's very quiet. There's a lot to like 🙂

If you have a long refractor, you need to be careful that during auto calibration (where the scope is automatically moved to point straight up and spun 360°), the bottom end of the scope does not hit the tripod legs. I have recently got the associated mini pier to get round this problem.

Also, mine occasionally 'jumped' while tracking. Some mounts seem to suffer from this and some don't. There seemed to be no rhyme or reason as to when this happened. When it did happen it would jump every couple of seconds. FLO looked at this for me and improved it with some minor servicing.

I think @HollyHound also has one.

Hope this helps! Any questions, give me a shout!

Malcolm