NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

star adventurer gti connecting

i know there is a thread  somewhere on the forum - this is just faster

New user of star adventure gti – in fact still testing it out in the house.  My first attempt to connect was using my hp spectre laptop running windows 11 and using the supplied usb-printer cable and the synscan pro app.  Except for one instance where it said that I needed to enter location first, the software did not connect to the gti saying no device could be found.  I then tried to connect via wifi using my iPad Air 2.  I was able to download from the apple app store both synscan and synscan pro apps.  When I attempted to connect using synscan pro I once again was told nothing could be found.  However, when I then used synscan the gti connected and seems to be working.  The instructions that came with the gti said I should look for wifi called synscan**** but what I found was Mount_8b5d.  I have now gone back and cannot find a synscan app for my windows spectre laptop.

So there are questions

1.      My preference would be the ipad air 2 in the field but I would like ‘hard wired’ rather than wifi – would the usb/printer cable work or will I run into the same problem?

2.      Why does synscan pro not work on the gti?

3.      Is there an advantage to get the hand controller or is synscan better

appreciate any thoughts and guidance

thanks

don

I don't have the mount but using an azgti with the synscan pro app via a mobile phone (android) I've never had an issue. Is there a particular reason you want to use a cable?

If you're directly connected to the mount via WiFi it'll show a similar IP address as your controlling device (eg two devices on the same network will typically have an IP address displaying the same first three numbers in the address like 123.456.789.xxx where XXX will be a unique number to every device on the same network). I have had similar to you, but usually the default name of the mount is synscanxxxx where the X's are a mix of letters and numbers.

Cannot comment on the hand controller other than physically it might be more pleasing to use especially when manually slewing which is the only issue I have with synscan pro because you can't physically feel the buttons.

For further issues perhaps post here as you're likely to get more of a response:

Edited by Elp

Hi Don.

I have the same mount. Check to what COM port number your mount is assigned(Control panel -> Hardware and Sound -> Device Manager) and make sure that in synscan pro app connecting settings you have the same COM port selected.

Also, I do not know what is your setup, but if your mount will be powered by batteries, and you will connect it by USB, then I suggest to turn off wfi on your mount to lower power consumption. You can do it in synscan pro app wfi connectin settings - will be accessible when you connect your mount by wfi(!).

You do not need hand controller at all... I am controlling my mount in NINA together with Stellarium using USB 3 ports and cables with no any issues :)

Edited by FunkyKoval35

I've found my az-gti has a weak WiFi signal in my home if it's a distance from where I'm sat so I have plugged in a synscan dongle into the mount, this works for me and I can place the az-gti outside. The mount works great with the synscan pro app which I use in az mode.

Hope you can sort your mount connection out.

EDIT my comment relates to az-gti and not the star adventurer

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 1

thanks for the inputs

1. prefer cable over wifi as it 'seems' more reliable as wifi signal can be lost. however when i used wifi in the house it seemed to work just fine

2. did a check both laptop and synscan pro are on comm3 and comm 4

3. i am using a power adapter for both the gti and the ipad - plan to use power from my 2016 ford 150 120v/400w outlet.  

I use the az gti and asi pro and never had issues with disconnectiin of the mount and Asiair pro. I just keep the Android phone on the tripod and all works fine. 

So you should have no issues with your ipad device out on the field. 

Lee 

with all due respect to Strother Martin in Coll Hand Luke, what we have here is an ability to communicate!!!

first, ipad - wifi - works just fine either synscan or synscan pro

second, laptop - my laptop runs comm 3,4,and 5 through the one usb port.  what i did was change the setting in synscan pro for 3 to 4 to 5 - and when i got to 5 it was happy and working nicely

now all i need to do is learn how to use the programs.  quick question - is the a home button and where is it - one that bring the gti back where it started.

this is a good forum, glad to be a part of it and thank all for your help

don

• Like 1