Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help connecting to ASIair Plus on iPad.

Hello, I just acquired a new ASIair Plus and after initial success I am now having difficulty connecting it to my iPad.  This is a replacement for my old ASIair Pro and, apart from the occasional connection blip, I have always used that successfully in the past.  So I am not a complete novice.

OK so initially I activated the new ASIair and succeeded in getting it connected to the App running on my iPad.   All seemed to check out except I could  not turn on the voltage outputs from the ASIair apart from the first one used to drive my ZWO camera.

Just to be sure I switched to my old ASIair Pro and found I’d lost the ability to control the voltage outputs on that one too.  As far as I can tell the 12V 5A power supply checks out OK. 

So I reasoned that the only common factor now is the App on my iPad. So I deleted the ASIair App on my iPad and re-downloaded it. It was then that I found I could no longer connect to either ASIair. 

What I am seeing is as follows:

I connect my iPad to the ASIair’s WiFi hot spot. 

I then fire up the App on the iPad.  The app simply displays “ASIAIR not found”.  

IMG_1719.thumb.jpeg.20cba7cbbc3040a861c8bedc0bad41d3.jpeg

If I press Scan I get ….

IMG_1720.jpeg.67f871a4793bdf787477004eb2adfc56.jpeg

If I press “Go Setting” I can see my WiFi connections and I see my iPad is still connected to my ASIair’s hot spot.  So why can’t the App see it?  Changing the WiFi setting to my home network router gets me nowhere.

I’ve tried switching everything on and off umpteen times. I’ve tried connecting the app to the ip address of ASIair.

Oddly I can still connect to my iPhone to the ASIair.  My iPhone still has an unrenewed (although latest version) of the App on it.

Frankly I’m flummoxed. Any ideas anyone? 

Is there a way on iOS to force close open apps? I ask as I was just messing with mine today on android and switching back and forth between web, WiFi settings and app, when I tried the app again it kept saying it couldn't find the air despite my WiFi being connected to it and cellular data being switched off (this can also cause issues if on). I forced closed the app and loaded it again and it connected right from the off.

Just now, Ouroboros said:

I didn’t think baud rate applied over a WiFi connection. 

It was just when you said you managed to connect your camera but not the mount. Just a thought. I hope you find a resolution to this.

8 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

It was just when you said you managed to connect your camera but not the mount. Just a thought. I hope you find a resolution to this.

Hello Bosun21, Thanks! So do I. :) I’m sure it’s something simple. The problem started after I was stupid enough to delete and then reload the app.

I have wondered whether resetting the ASIair to factory settings might sort it out. It would be kind of like starting from scratch.  It would mean the ASIair  having to be activated again.  

1 hour ago, Elp said:

Is there a way on iOS to force close open apps? I ask as I was just messing with mine today on android and switching back and forth between web, WiFi settings and app, when I tried the app again it kept saying it couldn't find the air despite my WiFi being connected to it and cellular data being switched off (this can also cause issues if on). I forced closed the app and loaded it again and it connected right from the off.

I’ve done what is sometime described as force closing the App and that didn’t help. The other thing is to do a proper “power off” achieved by holding down the on/off button for five seconds. I always imagine that’s equivalent to the Microsoft switching on and off thing. It often does get iPad apps out of a pickle, but not in this case. 

Is there any cache data saved for the app which can be cleared? Rolling back the airs firmware doesn't require reactivation, I've done it a number of times as I use the factory firmware and not an updated one.

I don’t think cache is an iPad thing.

OK I might try the reset. I’m surprised it doesn’t need to be reactivated. How does it know it has been? Surely it’s like starting over? 

I think I’ve cracked it. Simple really. It always is, eh? The newly downloaded App didn’t have access to the Local Network.  I found this by  comparing the Air’s App settings on  my phone with those on my iPad.

Thanks for people’s suggestions. :) 

• 3 months later...

I was able to connect my iPhone SE2 and activate ASIAIR mini by turning off the phone's Mobile Data. Some phones call it cellular data. Since this phone does not remain connected to the Internet, I needed to turn off the AIR and reconnect to the Internet. But for this to succeed the Mobile Data needed to be off. Hope this helps somebody. 

1 hour ago, irandar said:

I was able to connect my iPhone SE2 and activate ASIAIR mini by turning off the phone's Mobile Data. Some phones call it cellular data. Since this phone does not remain connected to the Internet, I needed to turn off the AIR and reconnect to the Internet. But for this to succeed the Mobile Data needed to be off. Hope this helps somebody. 

Hello, Irandar. Yes, I have read others saying what you did helps.  It didn’t help in my problem  as it happens which was solved as described in the post prior to yours.