Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ 5 Mount not communicating with NINA

Astroblagger

Hello 

Im currently trying to set up a mini PC for remote mount/camera/guide control. for some reason nina isn't showing my mount as connected? And therefore wont move remotely when asked. 

I thought i was doing well, NINA recognized the atik camera but not the mount or my QHY 5 guide camera? 

Iv down loaded the ascom driver and have the mount powered on and connected with cable, anyone had similar issues or advice?

Thanks. 

What method of connection are you using?

If a USB port, you need the relevant Skywatcher drivers installed, if an EQMOD cable through the handcontroller port, you need EQMOD installed. I suspect you also need to install something for the QHY camera for it to show up.

Usb via a eqdir cable, iv downloaded the  ascom driver 6.6 from astronomy standards. Does this not cover the sky watcher mounts? I'd thought eqmod was a separate stand alone program? My intention is to use NINA. It's a mele quiter 3 mini pc. 

Edited by Astroblagger

24 minutes ago, Astroblagger said:

Usb via a eqdir cable, iv downloaded the  ascom driver 6.6 from astronomy standards. Does this not cover the sky watcher mounts? I'd thought eqmod was a separate stand alone program? My intention is to use NINA. It's a mele quiter 3 mini pc. 

You still need the EQMOD software installed for NINA to be able to use your mount with it. You'll need the "EQASCOM" software from here: https://sourceforge.net/projects/eq-mod/files/

You may also need to install the driver for your specific EQDIR cable, and which driver it is depends on your cable. There should be a mention on the page you bought it from on what driver to install or a leaflet that came with it (probably a prolific driver).

Thanks for the advice Iv. Downloaded both ascom and eqmod. The cable was 2nd hand so can't find that info out. It's a 3m cable would that make a difference? Can any skywatcher owner show me what options you have when you open the telescope drop down menu in NINA. This is the error I'm getting. 

IMG_20230722_185918.jpg

33 minutes ago, Astroblagger said:

Thanks for the advice Iv. Downloaded both ascom and eqmod. The cable was 2nd hand so can't find that info out. It's a 3m cable would that make a difference? Can any skywatcher owner show me what options you have when you open the telescope drop down menu in NINA. This is the error I'm getting. 

IMG_20230722_185918.jpg

Try these drivers: https://ftdichip.com/drivers/vcp-drivers/

These are for Pegasus astro (blue cable) and Lynx astro (black cable) serial to USB cables. I think these 2 might be the most common cables sold, although there are many others.

NINA should show this option if the mount is found:

Capture123.JPG.21bf2f6c4ddf3a5dabe58b0985afa0be.JPG

Doesn't matter if your mount is an HEQ5/6, all EQMOD mounts will show up as that.

• Thanks 1

Basic communications:

When the EQDIR cable is connected to the computer it will be recognized as a new COM port.  Open Device Manager and having made a note of the comport click on properties and check the baud rate is set to the default 9600.   If its FTDI based then there should be no need to download and install any drivers, but if you do need them the VCP drivers can be obtained from the link in the above post.  If it uses Prolific chipset then you'll need to download the correct driver from prolific website or the cable providers website.   Close device manager.

Having installed EQMOD and the ASCOM platform navigate to EQASCOM > Toolbox.  Launch the toolbox utility.  With eqmod.exe selected click on driver setup.  In the toolbox application, set the port setting to match that of the one you noted.  Enter all the location details and click OK.  Then with the mount powered up and connected select the ASCOM connect.  It should launch EQMOD and and communicate with the mount.  Set the speed / rate value to 4 and move the mount via NSWE buttons.  Once confirmed close EQMOD by selecting ASCOM disconnect on the tool box, and close the toolbox application.

Now you should be able to select the mount from NINA or whatever application used for target acquisition or guiding.  - I don't use NINA so can't advise on that, but it should be easy enough to select it from some menu as shown in the post above

• Thanks 1

The driver error alone shouldn’t be critical. My HEQ5 Pro connects to NINA -  I have a message confirming the connection plus this driver error. Mount control works fine. 

There is an alternative to EQMOD called GreenSwamp and the driver is at greenswamp.org -  it is compatible with a HEQ5 mount, so worth considering. 

Edited by woldsman

Thanks you all for your help mount connected now. Turns out it's a FTDI cable updated drivers for the cable and set  correct com.port. iv updated the lat long in eq mod. Can live with it does this alarm come up every time you connect the mount it's no bigi I suppose. 

IMG_20230723_132734.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Astroblagger said:

Thanks you all for your help mount connected now. Turns out it's a FTDI cable updated drivers for the cable and set  correct com.port. iv updated the lat long in eq mod. Can live with it does this alarm come up every time you connect the mount it's no bigi I suppose. 

IMG_20230723_132734.jpg

In EQMOD you can set the epoque to J2000 or JNow, it sounds like it's set to JNow, you should be able to change it to J2000