Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Will this do the job?

I have decided that the time has come to do something about the state of my favourite eyepiece - see pic, and yes, those speckles are actually on the eyepiece, although I am not totally sure which end.

One option would appear to be this item, reasonably cheap, but no reviews, so has anyone used one of these and what was the verdict?

A significantly more expensive option would appear to be this, which has a series of glowing reviews, but is it worth the extra cost? Also not sure I could get a cloth into the eyepiece tube (particularly the end that is opposite the eyecup) without poking it in with a stick, which seems rather aggressive for such an operation.

So any advice on which is my best cost-effective option welcome.

Thanks.

20230706_103603.jpg.0dabcfae65abb47ee4af938b57d0481b.jpg

Looks like a 40/32mm plossl at a guess?

I would also recommend getting one of these - https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-optics-cleaning-protection/jumbo-silicone-hurricane-blower.html to clear the bigger bits before cleaning

It may also be easier for you to remove the eyecup first to give a bit more room to work

The pens are ok if you are not too fussy and have cheap eyepieces, but you still need to go carefully

I'd try unscrewing the insertion barrel while the eyepiece is upside-down to make it easier to get to the field lens.  Just don't flip the eyepiece over since that barrel might be holding the lenses in place inside the upper barrel.

I would first use  a blower bulb, rather then go mad buying all sorts of other kit bits and then use some cotton buds dipped in isoprponol.

If ther is still muck after blowing wet the bud and starting from the centre of the lens lightly wipe to the edge in straight lines. 

1 hour ago, Naughty Neal said:

I would first use  a blower bulb, rather then go mad buying all sorts of other kit bits and then use some cotton buds dipped in isoprponol.

If ther is still muck after blowing wet the bud and starting from the centre of the lens lightly wipe to the edge in straight lines. 

This is what I do, although after the isopropanol I do it again with distilled water.

Damp not soggy is good advice.  I usually wet the bud then get the majority of the fluid off by touching it against a clean paper towel.

Change the buds often.  They are cheap, eyepieces are not.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

I usually wet the bud then get the majority of the fluid off by touching it against a clean paper towel.

You shouldn't have any fluid on the lens incase of any ingress into the lens spacing. Just slightly dampen the cotton bud with the cleaning fluid and any fluid on the lens should immediately evaporate. 

53 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

You shouldn't have any fluid on the lens incase of any ingress into the lens spacing. Just slightly dampen the cotton bud with the cleaning fluid and any fluid on the lens should immediately evaporate. 

Aye, that's right.

Thanks for all the responses.

Seems the general concensus is better to go for the fluid (+ cotton buds - "damp not dripping"), rather than the pen, together with a blower - don't think any of the visible 'splodges' would be removable with that, but I guess a tiny dust particle can still do lots of damage to the lens coatings if I drag it across the surface with a cotton bud and the extra £4 is not going to break the bank.

It is a 32mm meade 4000 and i have checked the rubber cup and the insertion tube are removable, so that should help.

Thanks.

Yes, read what Tele Vue has to say.

And clean your eyepieces more often--don't let them get that dirty.

Alkaline dust on the lens, in combination with dew, can etch the coatings.

Never use a lens pen.  Like threaded-onto-the-eyepiece solar filters, they should be permanently discontinued by everyone.

They scratch the eyepiece lenses all too easily.

• Like 1