NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

HEQ5 pro to EQ6 R pro

Hi all,

Currently have a HEQ5 pro with the rowan mod, is it worth upgrading to the EQ6R pro?  I want to mount both scopes at the same time so would help with the weight issue, but would it give better tracking etc? or save for a while longer and go for something else?

Thanks in advance

I have an HEQ5 and an AZ-EQ6. In terms of tracking accuracy there is very difference between the two (when within design limits). So other than weight, there is little benefit in terms of tracking.

• Like 1

I upgraded from the HEQ5 (Rowan) to the EQ6-R but contrary to Clarkey I found an improvement in tracking. Of course this could be down to a number of things.  Biggest downside for me was the weight as I am one of the many who must set up for each session. Carrying capacity is clearly significantly better.

Edited by Grierson
Predictive text
  • Like 1

Thanks both, I think for the cost (should be able to recoup some from the heq5 and other bits for it, and as i don't need to move it), i think it would do what i need.  The next level up comes at more than i would like/need to spend.

2 hours ago, Grierson said:

contrary to Clarkey I found an improvement in tracking

I should probably clarify that the tracking on both my mounts is pretty good. Both have been stripped down and have had new bearings and grease, and the HEQ5 is belt modified. I typically get guiding around 0.6  arc seconds which is adequate for all my scopes imaging at 1 - 1.5 arc seconds/pixel. Even at 1600mm FL I do not have a problem.

8 hours ago, Clarkey said:

I have an HEQ5 and an AZ-EQ6. In terms of tracking accuracy there is very difference between the two (when within design limits). So other than weight, there is little benefit in terms of tracking.

This is my experience too. No tracking improvements, just a huge capacity boost. The big downside, as others have said, is the weight. I do dread the EQ6 setup routine. But it was a must to mount the scopes I have. The Evostar 150 and Orion 250 newt are both rock steady on the EQ6

I currently have both but the EQ6r has not even been out of the box. I was thinking like you have two imaging rigs running at the same time but actually knowing the second rig is that much heavier it’s not practical so I literally can’t be bothered with the hassle and the Rowan mod on the heq5 is so good I am not even sure the EQ6r will match it. I have seen it at 0.25 total RMS.