Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A few minutes with Saturn and Jupiter.

maw lod qan

Lately I've been a little lazy.

Worked on area 51 more than I have used it, but for an hour I looked at the two closest giants.

Saturn was first, being it was high in the sky. Viewing wasn't great but not terrible. Could make out one moon and a little banding on the planet.

What amazed me the most was the way the ring is really starting to get closer to edge on!

Jupiter finally cleared the tree tops, but was extremely bright so low in the Eastern sky. Just some faint banding visible and only 3 of the closest moons.

A good hour after not viewing for a while.

Even saw a good fast meteor that for a moment left the dusty trail of sparks as it disappeared for ever.

• Like 7

• 1 month later...

Also  lazy,  but after a rainy week tonight was clear so... I'm just putting in my gear having looked at Saturn and Jupiter. It's 04:30 AM and  it's one of those cold and sharp mornings. Full summer season here, tourists usually running amok, but the cold got them in 😄 Big J showed all four moons and nice band detail for my setup ( 72ED / 9mm Nag T6 / 2x Bw)  I usually get 2 bands, with the good seeing and the extra darkness I saw 4 bands and a tiny swirl , will have to check if it was the red spot. Saturn up and shiny, distinguisheble Cassini division and the ring shadow on the planet. With also the Moon watched earlier in the evening I can tell it was a good night. 

• Like 3

On 28/07/2023 at 21:41, Bivanus said:

It's 04:30 AM and  it's one of those cold and sharp mornings. Full summer season here, tourists usually running amok, but the cold got them in

It would be nice if it was just a bit cool at 4:30am!

Lately been in the low 80's° F. And very humid.

Hmm...80F is 26C , around here we have 38-40C / 100-104F during the day and 24-28C / 75-82F during the night. The humidity varies a lot, if it's windy it's lower but if the wind is dead...the sweat simply can't evaporate...😔

Spent a little time with Saturn and Jupiter using thr 20x80 binos.  The sky was jacked up more then a little bit so the view wasnt all that, but at least the gas giants are finally coming back.