Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Premium 16-20" dobsonian telescope

Greetings,

I've been using an Orion XX14g with goto+skyfi+SkySafari app for a few years with good results. But the scope is quite heavy and difficult to setup. As I live in Europe I've been looking at the Skyvision T400C f4 or DocTelescope 20" f3.3 LaserMax II series.

What I would require at this point is a telescope that:

1- Has a bigger aperture than the Orion XX14g.
2- It is easier to setup by one person.
3- Fits into a Tesla Model 3
4- Has a higher quality optic than the Orion (Sthrel ratio of 0.9 or better would be nice).
5- Resists gusts of wind.
6- Eyepiece height should not exceed 171cm (67 inches).
7- Has a goto system compatible with SkySafari app or equivalent.
8- Has a Feathertouch focuser (I have a Paracorr type 2 but possibly I would buy SIPS unit if it supports my Nikon NAV HW 12 eyepiece).
9- Has a reasonable delivery time.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Skyvision T400... drool!  Think they used to offer Mirrorsphere optics, but doing their own now?

Resisting gusts of wind is an interesting criterion:

I've a 15" Classic Obsession - well balanced, smooth motions with large bearings, decent weight to it, and the only way I get some immunity to wind is to omit the shroud.  When it's gusty, i do experience slight vibrations at the EP - not tolerable at high mags.  Tbh, I dont tend to observe in the wind - i generally target beautiful clear peaceful nights - all too rare though!

Edited by niallk