Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

June 25, 2023: First light of HEM15

Had my first light with the HEM15 on some solar imaging. The set-up of the mount was quite straightforward, and slewing was quick and quiet. The whole rig felt really sturdy, and the only thing that stopped my from grabbing H-alpha data as well as white-light, and Ca-K was the sweltering heat. I think this mount will serve me very well indeed. Call me oldfashioned, but I really like the factthat the scope has a hand controller rather than forcing me to use some app.

IMG_20230625_153834.thumb.jpg.19ae6ded4e83a61908dda09047cc136c.jpg

• Like 2

Looks a really nice setup Michael. I have been reading about this mount some more and it versatility / weight bearing capacity is setting me thinking I may have a use for it.

As we look at it there in this picture, roughly what is the height and weight of what we see? (Minus the OTA)

Edited by bomberbaz
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Call me oldfashioned, but I really like the factthat the scope has a hand controller rather than forcing me to use some app.

IMG_20230625_153834.thumb.jpg.19ae6ded4e83a61908dda09047cc136c.jpg

~

Agreed!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

Looks a really nice setup Michael. I have been reading about this mount some more and it versatility / weight bearing capacity is setting me thinking I may have a use for it.

As we look at it there in this picture, roughly what is the height and weight of what we see? (Minus the OTA)

The top of the mount is about 120 cm from the ground. The weight is just shy of 5kg (4,968 g according to my scales)

• Thanks 1

That is only a little more than my AZ-GTi setup but with a significant gain in bearing capacity plus from all accounts, an improvement in tracking accuracy.

It would be quite a layout but I am thinking of selling a bit of kit that would cover the cost and free up a space in the conservatory to hold it, win, win.

Anyway, holiday first, decisions later.

Thanks Michael, much appreciated. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I have an HEM15 setup for a more portable astrophotography setup. These are the weights I measured:

HEM15 mount with iPolar = 2.65kg

HEM15 hand controller (required) plus cable = 0.17kg

Power and USB cable assembly = 0.25kg

I have the RT90C tripod which has more leg sections (good for other applications) = 2.60kg

My scope is an FRA400, with iGuider (0.185kg) plus ASI1600MM (0.41kg) and 8 way ZWO filter wheel (circa 0.5kg with filters), Mele PC etc, total 4.9kg

Guiding RMS is around 0.9 to 1.2" RMS

The HEM15 is quite tall so no pier extension was needed (commonly needed with AM3 and AM5), so that is great!