NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Skywatcher tracking mount help.

I have recently acquired a secondhand Skywatcher 127. It came with a tracking mount that I am unfamiliar with and I find the instruction manual rather opaque. I have attached a couple of pictures of the mount and the controller. Can anyone identify this setup and advise where I might be able to find additional instructions on setup and use?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Many thanks Peter. I have this manual but (probably me being a bit dense), I'm not finding it easy to follow. Was hoping some kind soul had posted a YouTube video, but can't haven't found anything yet. I'm not even sure what the mount can do. When properly set up, does it track targets across the sky? Can it be upgraded to GoTo by plugging in a synscan handset?  

Thanks again.

Steve

I think I found this on the internet some years ago, it might help.

1. plug in the power cord

2. ( latitude scale at top of fork arm ) using the directional keys on the hand control, adjust the telescope tube until the latitude scale reads 0

3. point the telescope tube to the north using the directional keys on the hand control
( I find pointing it with the North star in the centre of view and then setting the latitude scale to 0 works better )

4. after the above completed, the telescope is in the home position

5. turn off the power by unplugging it and turn it back on again 
job done ! 

SETTING THE LOCAL LATITUDE FOR ACCURATE TRACKING

setting the local latitude is not required for the auto tracking telescope to track an astronomical object but it greatly enhances the tracking accuracy.
it requires that you know the latitude of your observing site.
to set the latitude for the northern hemisphere, use the directional buttons to adjust the telescope tube until the latitude scale reads 0.
turn off the power and back on again.
now use the hand control to move the telescope tube until the latitude scale reads your local site latitude.
press the "fast" and "slow" buttons simultaneously to store the local latitude into the system.
setting the local latitude only needs to be done once, the information will be stored in the hand control even when the power is turned off. 

10 minutes ago, Steve Reed said:

Can it be upgraded to GoTo by plugging in a synscan handset?  

Yes it can.

• Like 1

Pleased to report some success last night. Managed to get the mount zeroed in and tracking the moon with craters staying pretty central in the field of view. Already thinking of upgrades. Currently no mains lead/powertank and I guess the batteries will be drained quite quickly. 

Also thinking of GoTo potential for this mount. I understand I can either buy a WiFi dongle and use the app on my iPhone or buy a SynScan handset. What are the pros and cons of each? The handset is more than twice the price of the dongle - is it worth the extra expense?

Thanks in advance.

Steve

Hello Steve,

I have the Synscan handset on my Skymax and Skyliner mounts, and am a big fan. I have tried using my Android tablet with equivalent Bluetooth and WiFi interfaces, but was not comfortable using virtual buttons on the tablet's touchscreen whilst looking through an eyepiece. With the handset, the tactile feedback from the "real" buttons made all the difference for fine up/down/left/right adjustment, whilst keeping my eye looking through the eyepiece.

This is my experience, but others may find a touchscreen interface works for them.

Geoff

• Like 1

I also preferred the handset rather than the virtual buttons on a phone/tablet. It’s far easier to adjust the eyepiece view while looking through the eyepiece. I sold the dongle I had for my 127 Maksutov.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. Still finding my way with this mount. I have managed to get hold of a dongle but have failed to find the wifi connection it supposedly generates. I am just running it off batteries at the moment and I am wondering if I need a mains adapter (see related post).

Steve

What I like about the dongle whilst using my android mobile I can on the same device at the same time use a planetarium connected to the mount to get that view too I use skysafari plus4.

Are you using your device very close to the dongle? Have you tried with your home wifi off?