NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ISS transit 16.6,2023

Pete Presland

Finally manage to capture the ISS transit the Sun. There never seems to be many from my back garden, so i had to find a suitable place on the somewhere.

luckily there was a layby a few miles away that was perfect.

A 8 frame GIF for the animation.

The best frame from the GIF, with the ISS nicley positioned between the Sunspots. A straightforward single frame saved from the SER file and converted to a PNG and lightly sharpened. 

Evostar 120mm, Lunt wedge, Baader Continuum filter, Asi174mm,

2023_06_1612.47ISSSolartransitGIF(sheford).gif.c0dc2a7b5c1770c2a42fe7cffdfcc18c.gif

2023_06_1612.47ISSSolartransit(sheford).thumb.png.2e58267f9d25be74af802847891c65c9.png

• Like 13

2 hours ago, Pete Presland said:

Finally manage to capture the ISS transit the Sun. There never seems to be many from my back garden, so i had to find a suitable place on the somewhere.

luckily there was a layby a few miles away that was perfect.

Nicely caught Pete ... :icon_biggrin:

I have a similar opportunity tomorrow morning and again on Friday , I'm thinking of tackling it with the EOS 90D and Sigma 150-600  off a tripod for laziness sake.

I assume that the time data from "ISS Transit Finder" is in UTC/GMT ?  I can see nothing anywhere to suggest anything different.

Edited by Steve Ward
  • Like 1

On 20/06/2023 at 08:49, Steve Ward said:

Nicely caught Pete ... :icon_biggrin:

I have a similar opportunity tomorrow morning and again on Friday , I'm thinking of tackling it with the EOS 90D and Sigma 150-600  off a tripod for laziness sake.

I assume that the time data from "ISS Transit Finder" is in UTC/GMT ?  I can see nothing anywhere to suggest anything different.

I assumed it was as well, seemed to be very close to me Steve. Good luck !

• Like 1

On 20/06/2023 at 11:54, Kon said:

Excellent capture. Nice framing over the sunspots. Any ISS transit has eluded me but Saturday morning is promising for my location.

Thanks Kon, the framing was luck of my  location to be honest 🙂