Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Starsense GPS

Ok, I have a starsense camera and GPS (with the adaptor) for my EQ6R Pro. I'm having some issues with the GPS. Sometimes it shows up on the hand controller, sometimes it doesn't. But as yet it hasn't actually given the correct time and location. It's got the latest updates and I have tried it in every conceivable configuration. Is it faulty? 

7 minutes ago, Happysolderer said:

Ok, I have a starsense camera and GPS (with the adaptor) for my EQ6R Pro. I'm having some issues with the GPS. Sometimes it shows up on the hand controller, sometimes it doesn't. But as yet it hasn't actually given the correct time and location. It's got the latest updates and I have tried it in every conceivable configuration. Is it faulty? 

Which GPS module do you have? I did not think the Celestron GPS module was compatible with the sky watcher mount.

On Celestron mounts there have been some reported issues between starsense and the skysync GPS module. They are often resolved by plugging starsense into the handset port and the handset into the aux port. 

You also have to allow for a longer start up time as you need to wait for the gos module to get a lock on enough satellites.

Final thing to check is whether the GPS module needs to be set as the source for date/time/location in the handset.

40 minutes ago, Happysolderer said:

The GPS module is the one supplied by FLO for starsense. The starsense camera and handset came with an adaptor for use with the Skywatcher mount.  

Have you checked the handset to ensure the GPS module is set as the source? And how long are you waiting before checking date/time? The menu options for the handset are shown below - it should be the Mode option you need to change.if not set correctly.

image.png.55bfa1b9caa5ae2e0b85d8366d3af345.png

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Happysolderer said:

It'll also be there, and then disappear. 

I am all out of suggestions beyond the usual last resort - try a factory reset on the handset and see if that clears out any odd settings. It may be worth a call with FLO or raising a support ticket with Celestron.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/05/2023 at 16:40, Shimrod said:

I am all out of suggestions beyond the usual last resort - try a factory reset on the handset and see if that clears out any odd settings. It may be worth a call with FLO or raising a support ticket with Celestron.

Turns out it was a faulty module. FLO sent a replacement, works fine.