Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Extender-Q 1.6X or Powermate?

Sorry to ask a follow up question in your thread @MalcolmM where you may be spammed with the answers but i wonder if i could ask the users of tak extenders (sp. the Tak Extender-ED 1.5 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-extenders/tak_tka37595.html) does it also move the focus point outwards if it is used before the diagonal as i find with the TV Powermate as shown above? Basically i wonder if this is a function of all telecentric type extenders?

I'm musing on the 1.5x tak extender as an alternative focal length extender in my toolbox if it would work without piles of rearwards extension...

Cheers

Joe

7 hours ago, josefk said:

Sorry to ask a follow up question in your thread @MalcolmM where you may be spammed with the answers but i wonder if i could ask the users of tak extenders (sp. the Tak Extender-ED 1.5 https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-extenders/tak_tka37595.html) does it also move the focus point outwards if it is used before the diagonal as i find with the TV Powermate as shown above? Basically i wonder if this is a function of all telecentric type extenders?

I'm musing on the 1.5x tak extender as an alternative focal length extender in my toolbox if it would work without piles of rearwards extension...

Cheers

Joe

I'm always happy when anything Tak is being discussed 🙂

I ended up getting the Extender-Q and while it is excellent optically, it's not something you would want to be screwing on and off during a session!

I'll be interested in any replies you get.

Malcolm

• Like 2

9 hours ago, josefk said:

Cheers

Joe

Hi Josef,

I haven’t yet tried the 1.5x ED, but I have used the 1.6x TKA36595 quite a lot. At least that extender leaves the focus position nearly unchanged.

• Thanks 1

• 6 months later...

A bit late on this one, but I use the chart attached for the various Tak Extenders, and all seems well. For visual, the ED 1.5x works very well with my FSQ85, and the 2” 1.6x with the FSQ106, despite rumours that they are only for AP. Both have given excellent views of Jupiter over the last year or so, and Mars during the 2022 opposition. Views through TSA102 are superb with the ED 1.5x, and the ‘old’ 1.25” 1.6x works well with an FS60.

Tak Extenders English.png

• Like 2

On 08/08/2023 at 09:17, josefk said:

Cheers

Joe

I didn’t set out to measure this, but my ED 1.5x didn’t bring a binoviewer to focus in that way. While there may have been some shift, there was not enough to help.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Richard said:

I didn’t set out to measure this, but my ED 1.5x didn’t bring a binoviewer to focus in that way. While there may have been some shift, there was not enough to help.

All sorted now Richard but thanks for commenting anyway. I went ahead with the Tak 1.5 Ext-ED and it behaves as I hoped giving a 1.5 multiplication used before the diagonal and not asking for any extra spacers before or after to reach focus. May be not quite as invisible in use as the power mate (Tak heresy and virtually impossible to state with confidence!). Perfectly satisfying and super useful with the FSQ. 

Edited by josefk