Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nikon 1 J2

Dazzyt66

Hi all,

I was thinking of getting one of these on a good used deal. I currently use a modded canon 1100d with Ekos. I only use M42 lenses nowadays for basic AP stuff using my HEQ5 - so nothing fancy and the mount is defo overkill.

Anyway, my question is: would the Nikon be ok for similar use ie Ekos with lens photography. I have some Canon FD lenses, which, with a mirrorless adaptor could work even better than my M42 stock?

If the Nikon was viable for this kind of use I could then downgrade my HEQ5 for something more portable as I go on my travels…

TIA

Daz

Hi Daz,

As I see it ( a Nikon user ), there is no advantage obvious to me that changing cameras would be a good idea. Although Ekos is supposed to work with the 1 J2 it is now 11 years old ( I know the Canon is older ) but the sensor is the CX format that is smaller than APSC. It's the same sensor size that is in the Sony RX100 series.

If you want a tiny field of view I suspect cropping the Canon would be the best bet.

Dave.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, davew said:

Hi Daz,

As I see it ( a Nikon user ), there is no advantage obvious to me that changing cameras would be a good idea. Although Ekos is supposed to work with the 1 J2 it is now 11 years old ( I know the Canon is older ) but the sensor is the CX format that is smaller than APSC. It's the same sensor size that is in the Sony RX100 series.

If you want a tiny field of view I suspect cropping the Canon would be the best bet.

Dave.

Thanks Dave, I'd looked in various places for info on the N1 for astro work to no avail, so the advice is much appreciated. I am aware that my 1100D is getting on a bit and was looking for something 'newer' without breaking the bank... :)

• Like 1