Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Venus during Daylight with iPhone 28/04/23

This started off with a late afternoon look at the sun in white light. Some fine looking sunspots! Here, in Southampton, there’s been so many cloudy days and nights for what seems like an age. And the forecast wasn’t great, but the hope was that I could carry on into the night after a break for dinner.

At about 4:45pm I decided to try and find Venus even though it was still daylight. I used the PushTo feature of an iPhone app - PS Align Pro - which had Venus in a low power 25mm eyepiece with ease. At this time Venus was quite high in the sky. And I could easily make out the phase. Played around with eyepieces but as it was daytime there was no need to use a filter to tone down brightness. At around 5pm I noticed cloud rolling in and decided to take a short iPhone video. I did some initial processing of the video while still at the telescope which was nice. Then went back inside hoping the cloud would clear. Sadly It didn’t :(

Video taken was around 10 sec - 4K at 60fps with stock camera app, iPhone 14 Pro on a basic smartphone adapter. Skywatcher 200p manual Dob. BST StarGuider 5mm. Stacked on the phone with the VideoStack app. Cropped and processed on the phone using WaveletCam and Lightroom. For a change and as it was daytime, I kept a blue background. Something that the “processing” didn’t like but it worked in the end. Also left it in the same position as seen at the eyepiece.

IMG_2023-4-30-160805.jpeg.37936888d47eddd8d83dcb32dbc85eb9.jpeg

• Like 7