Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Coronado or Lunt?

7 hours ago, Highburymark said:

Where are you based Peter? Solarscope prices within the UK are dramatically lower. All export market prices when I bought were almost double - just ask Helmut.

I'm in the UK, North East.  But what dealers stock Solarscope products? - I haven't been able to find any.  Having said that, I'm in close contact with Helmut anyway, and I'm sure he would sell direct to me if I asked.   Nevertheless if he can finally sort my SV50 without a huge cost, I'd be happy with that.   I'm sure a double stacked 60 mm unit on my 65mm TSQuad would be a fantastic instrument.  But even if direct prices are as you suggest almost half of those through APM or Astroshop.eu, we're still probably looking at over £6000.  Similar to a double stacked Lunt 60 and way outside my present budget.  And of course Helmut might not have the filters available at the moment, I know he's been very busy and a bit short staffed this year.

I do need to get a solution soon - at my age (80) I might not be around, or at least particularly active when the next Solar maximum comes round - it's now or never!

Cheers,

Peter

• Like 1

3 hours ago, petevasey said:

I'm in the UK, North East.  But what dealers stock Solarscope products? - I haven't been able to find any.  Having said that, I'm in close contact with Helmut anyway, and I'm sure he would sell direct to me if I asked.   Nevertheless if he can finally sort my SV50 without a huge cost, I'd be happy with that.   I'm sure a double stacked 60 mm unit on my 65mm TSQuad would be a fantastic instrument.  But even if direct prices are as you suggest almost half of those through APM or Astroshop.eu, we're still probably looking at over £6000.  Similar to a double stacked Lunt 60 and way outside my present budget.  And of course Helmut might not have the filters available at the moment, I know he's been very busy and a bit short staffed this year.

I do need to get a solution soon - at my age (80) I might not be around, or at least particularly active when the next Solar maximum comes round - it's now or never!

Cheers,

Peter

Fair point. Solar cycles do tend to make us ponder the future!
I bought my Solarscope filters direct from Helmut - there are no U.K. dealers. It’s an unusual system I agree - I couldn’t believe prices were almost equivalent to Lunt when I enquired a few years ago. 
I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your SV50.

• 2 months later...

I would go for  the Lunt all the way. Higher chance of getting good quality etalon. Myself using 60mm single stacked  -  bought used  for £2100 end of last year.  With good viewing and right pixel sized cameras you can squeeze from it  a lot. The closeup was recorder with 178MM and cheep 2x Barlow so quite oversampled, and full disc ( just a surface ) without Barlow and the same camera ( lots of detail for SS )    

I am considering double stack but  not now - this is the worst time to buy due to eclipse in US next month. I think after April, there will be a lot of people selling used equipment purchased just for this event.  

prom41.thumb.jpeg.f70a14c488e38ffa3fe3a9811c53de59.jpeg2024-01-18-1110_4-Sun_lapl2_ap333.thumb.jpg.4a2d6efc3d876f5628e6955017e9a4db.jpg

• Like 6