Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Milkyway across the Fjord

A two row vertical panorama of the Milkyway, looking out over Fusafjord to the town of Eikelandsosen in western Norway 🇳🇴 

I took the opportunity of a new moon to test the Benro Polaris with a modded EOS R near my home. Really wanted to get the fish farms in the image but had to crop parts out due to a barge with ridiculously strong lighting (see second image)

Happy to see the extra Ha response around Cygnus from the mod. I haven’t really made my mind up on the Polaris but if I can get it to automate panorama’s it will be a winner. Hoping to take it on holiday this year!

EXIF:
Canon EOS R (astromod)
Sigma 28mm ART
Sky: 20x30sec f2.8 ISO1600
Foreground 8x30sec and 8x4sec @f2 ISO100

IMG_1098.thumb.jpeg.45af5fe92a55c147ee577a74a3a46bdc.jpeg

IMG_1098.thumb.png.31548fef0764d2e94c8557031b39039f.png

Edited by Icesheet
  • Like 24

Beautiful images. You’ve really managed to push that exposure time with the Polaris - I hadn’t come across that but of kit before but it looks very interesting.

I’ve noticed a feature of Norway is that ostensibly unspoilt, wild areas can often have very harsh lights at night! A product of long winter nights and cheap electricity I guess!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, FenlandPaul said:

Beautiful images. You’ve really managed to push that exposure time with the Polaris - I hadn’t come across that but of kit before but it looks very interesting.

I’ve noticed a feature of Norway is that ostensibly unspoilt, wild areas can often have very harsh lights at night! A product of long winter nights and cheap electricity I guess!

Thanks 😊

I’m not convinced the Polaris is worth the money, especially if deep sky is your target. I picked it up on a deal with wide automated panoramas in mind. I haven’t really had the chance to test that but I’ve seen some stunning examples from others. 

Yeah, it surprised and continues to frustrate me. As you say, it’s a byproduct of the geographical location and nature of the terrain. However, I still think a lot of it is unnecessary. The electricity prices are not so cheap anymore, maybe that will have a positive effect, at least from my own selfish viewpoint!

Edited by Icesheet
  • Like 1