Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Power supply help

29 minutes ago, Nrmh02 said:

I’ve just received my eq6 r pro and needing to get some kinda power supply to it. 

has anyone tried this and can give me an indication if it’s long lasting or not

or if anyone can recommend something better ?

thanks 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/skywatcher-17-amp-power-tank.html

I have a HEQ5 and I can power mine all night (literally, while I leave the rig imaging) from a Halfords Jump Start power pack that I’ve had for several years - there’s an RAC version on Amazon atm for about £40 which I was going to get too, to power all the extra stuff I have attached nowadays…even with both of them it works out cheaper than an ‘Astro’ power bank (that is basically the same thing)… HTH

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dazzyt66 said:

I have a HEQ5 and I can power mine all night (literally, while I leave the rig imaging) from a Halfords Jump Start power pack that I’ve had for several years - there’s an RAC version on Amazon atm for about £40 which I was going to get too, to power all the extra stuff I have attached nowadays…even with both of them it works out cheaper than an ‘Astro’ power bank (that is basically the same thing)… HTH

Thanks for replying. Much appreciated 

Nicola 

• Like 1

I use one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B09MZ736CZ?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Not had it long enough to know how long one charge lasts, but it's still showing full charge after at least an hour of slewing. Good connectivity, with 3 USB, two 12v jacks with cigarette lighter adaptor and AC if required.

Small and light too.

Edited by cajen2

I run Orion's Dynamo Pro.  It will run dew heaters for.... well I don't know how long.  I have yet to run it down.  So far i have run it for 6 to 8 hours and then recharge it.  The real test will be running the XX16G.  So far it has lasted a couple hours running it with no issues 

A power tank/bank (whatever brand) that has a 12V lead acid battery will not damage the mount.
Just ensure the lead to the mount is fused in case of shorts.

A power tank/bank of unknown internal construction, except it contnis lithium cells carries risk.
It can impose voltages outside of mount normal operation.

Note the RVO offering is 12V 17AH = 204Wh.
The amazon device claims only 99Wh.

Unless you really need other than 12V, an easy decision really.

HTH, David.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Nrmh02 said:

I’ve just received my eq6 r pro and needing to get some kinda power supply to it.

I bought the smaller version just over 4 years ago and it's still going strong albeit I only drive an azgti with it now. I also understand they are old school lead/acid type construction so expect that model to be heavy and like a car battery, it will have a lifespan. Another thing to consider is that flo dont seem to sell them which suggests that that item has been replaced with an alternative. All the best. 

Topic here you may find of interest.....

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/46532-a-reminder-about-charging-your-powertanks/page/3/#comments

Edited by M40
Add stuff

Hi mate I use this to run my HEQ5PRO it runs it for 4 nights before i recharge it it will run dew strips as well as scope I can charge my tablet and phone as well it's damp proof  and you can run it to dead and leave it months before a recharge with no problems , I have it's smaller brother as well and that's 5 years old 

https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.uk/celestron-powertank-lithium-pro.html

On 13/04/2023 at 19:21, Nrmh02 said:

has anyone tried this and can give me an indication if it’s long lasting or not

or if anyone can recommend something better ?

I have one of these and for the mount alone it is absolutely fine. If you start adding other stuff such as dew heaters it does have limited capacity. To be honest you are paying for a lot of extra's that you probably won't ever use (torch / radio / USB / red light). You could just but a standard 17 AH lead acid battery for a fraction of the price and wire it up to connect the mount. However - for simplicity and convenience it is fine.

• Like 1