Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

THREE NEW ADDITIONS TO THE CELESTRON STARSENSE EXPLORER STABLE!

20230411_154212.thumb.jpg.5f33ea7085b9e2e7835d419ea4c40278.jpg

20230411_153855.thumb.jpg.8b6602c815bc28e5e653b8f21685ae23.jpg

20230411_153432.thumb.jpg.7e9015e8b509fe6dd7352d8cd5c28fea.jpg

Oops, sorry, I meant to say three new additions to MY Celestron Starsense Explorer stable -  to keep my 8inch Dob version company 🙂.

I bought the DX 130 DX version to add  130mm Newt, 80mm ED f7 and 125mm f10 SC versions.  The refractor is my Altair 80 ED-R - all on the DX mount of course.

Now I have multiple portable Starsense Explorer scope options for when I'm away from home 😊.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

Fantastic Paul! So you have two Starsense Explorer mounts in total - and it’s just a case of swapping scopes on the DX mount - as long as they don’t exceed the payload? Or Are there further changes required to use other scopes on this mount?

1 hour ago, Highburymark said:

Fantastic Paul! So you have two Starsense Explorer mounts in total - and it’s just a case of swapping scopes on the DX mount - as long as they don’t exceed the payload? Or Are there further changes required to use other scopes on this mount?

That's quite right Mark.  The mount comes with a Vixen fitting dovetail holder.  Mind you, I haven't seen a limit for the mount.  It's not that substantial for much more load than I will be using with it.  I suspect the mount could be beefed up,  or the angled phone holder fixed to other mounts.  Perhaps the Rowan mounts, not that I have one.

Off to the Spring Kelling bash next Monday, but will probably only take the Dob because we're rather short of space.  Andy ( from TAC) is taking a blow up tent which I'm hoping will fit on our pitch and leave us some room to observe 🙂.

Edited by paulastro
Typo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 21/04/2023 at 13:07, Coco said:

Been thinking about buying the refractor but 180 quid for an app and a mirror, wish they hand-offered a kit version.

Coco I've only just your post or I would have commented before. In terms of the hardware you get they are worth next to nothing by themselves, I agree with you. Having said that, the difference having the Starsense system through the app is immeasurable in my view.  For visual observers there is no faster, more reliable or easier to use  locating system to help you find objects - including any goto system I'm aware of.  

Just price up any goto mount -  the SS hardware can be used on any scope if you have the know how at very little cost - and it's a one off cost.  Similarly, look at the price of digital systems  using encoders, and the SS offers so much more.

I agree £180 (less actually) is not an insignificant amount of money - but compared with many other things astronomers seem willing to spend far more on, its an absolute bargain. Over £400 for some  eyepieces, hundreds and even thousands for imaging devices which, if you keep them long enough, will be worth almost nothing as they become out of date and incompatable. £200 plus for some filters,  up to a £100 plus for adapters to make pieces of equipment to work together, the list is endless.

Also, the fact I can spend virtually all my time under the stars observing rather than     looking for things is hard to put a price on. The positive effects it can have on anyone's observing, however experienced you may be is immense.

I don't know where you live, but if you are close enough I'd be happy to give you a demo, and you'd know then if it was worth the money to you.  Or perhaps a local astro club may have members who use the system?

• Like 3

16 hours ago, paulastro said:

Coco I've only just your post or I would have commented before. In terms of the hardware you get they are worth next to nothing by themselves, I agree with you. Having said that, the difference having the Starsense system through the app is immeasurable in my view.  For visual observers there is no faster, more reliable or easier to use  locating system to help you find objects - including any goto system I'm aware of.  

Just price up any goto mount -  the SS hardware can be used on any scope if you have the know how at very little cost - and it's a one off cost.  Similarly, look at the price of digital systems  using encoders, and the SS offers so much more.

I agree £180 (less actually) is not an insignificant amount of money - but compared with many other things astronomers seem willing to spend far more on, its an absolute bargain. Over £400 for some  eyepieces, hundreds and even thousands for imaging devices which, if you keep them long enough, will be worth almost nothing as they become out of date and incompatable. £200 plus for some filters,  up to a £100 plus for adapters to make pieces of equipment to work together, the list is endless.

Also, the fact I can spend virtually all my time under the stars observing rather than     looking for things is hard to put a price on. The positive effects it can have on anyone's observing, however experienced you may be is immense.

I don't know where you live, but if you are close enough I'd be happy to give you a demo, and you'd know then if it was worth the money to you.  Or perhaps a local astro club may have members who use the system?

Thanks, I use a Nexus II on my son with Sky Safari and to move it to another mount would involve taking the encoders off the dob etc, it wasn't a rant about actual value, in this day of recycling and waste management it seems ridiculous to buy a telescope only to remove parts from and unwanted scope that will be in the skip within a short life. I'll buy one for my 90 degree bins and the (rest) scope will be given to child down the street, maybe it'll trigger an interest , maybe it won't. Thanks for the offer anyway 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Thanks, I use a Nexus II on my son with Sky Safari and to move it to another mount would involve taking the encoders off the dob etc, it wasn't a rant about actual value, in this day of recycling and waste management it seems ridiculous to buy a telescope only to remove parts from and unwanted scope that will be in the skip within a short life. I'll buy one for my 90 degree bins and the (rest) scope will be given to child down the street, maybe it'll trigger an interest , maybe it won't. Thanks for the offer anyway 👍

You're welcome Coco.  I must be one of the comparatively few who haven't actually 'done a mod' from a small SS scope  in order to use the phone holder on a larger scope.  I actually bought the 8inch Dob version of the SS just about a year ago. 

A few months ago I did buy just a phone holder and base from someone, which was modified to fit into any Vixen finder shoe.  So, I can use SS with my other three smaller scopes.  Also with anyone else's scope which has a Vixen  finder shoe fitted, if they will let me 🙂.