Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging with an 840K

Right, I've managed to source myself a Philips 840K. I am going to get an adapter this week. My scope is a Skywatcher 130PM.

I am mostly going to be taking pictures of the moon, saturn, and jupiter when it comes up. Maybe venus. Probably not much DSO, as my polar aligning sucks...

What other equipment do I need? Filters? I take it I won't be using an EP? What kind of magnfication should I expect with this cam, then? I would increase magnification with a barlow, but how could I decrease it? Will it be easy enough to focus? I am going to try to make a Bahtinov mask...

Anyone have any pictures they've taken with a setup like mine, so I know what's possible?

Looking forward to stunning you all with my out-of-focus, dark, blurry pics!!

-eli

Hi eli, and congrats for joining the imaging with a webcam craziness :)

The Bahtinov mask and barlows are definite requirements!

Only for the Moon is it likely you might want a focal reducer..

Here in Oz, the GSO 1 1/4" 0.5x is cheap and good.. expect it will be in Old Blighty too :eek:

here's a pic, using 150mm Newt' with 2.5x Barlow.. disregard the poor quality of seeing and 'operator error', but note the size... about what you can expect with your scope. No filters except UV/IR cut filter, again GSO, good and cheap ;)

Hope this helps... and you will be using EP to get'em centred FOV before putting cam in.. and again if you lose the target while changing Borlow or such.. it takes a little practise.. but it's FUN :)

post-16326-133877366206_thumb.gif

Archived