NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

usb3 over 3m

Hi everyone.

I've a mount hub to computer connection with a usb3 female on the mount. i want to connect this to a computer around 3m away. 
A 3m usb3 cable doesn't work.

A 0.5m usb3 cable connected to a 3m usb2 cable works.

Apart from moving the computer closer to the mount -which puts it out of reach of the guy's vnc over wifi- what options do I have for usb3 between mount and computer?

Cheers

Edited by alacant

Use an Active USB 3 cable. This powered and will transfer the data without issue. 

I had a 15m Active USB 3 cable which was powered by a laptop at one end and a USB3 hub at the other. This worked fine, even down to -5°C in the winter. ;) 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Budgie1 said:

Active USB 3 cable

OK and thanks for the reply.

I'm being particularly thick today so I can't find one.

It appears simple enough now I know what I'm looking for, but seems impossible to find.

A 3m active usb3 cable with these plugs at either end.

Screenshot_2023-04-04-16-33-38-331_com.google.android_apps.photos.thumb.jpg.d12167416f3c5362bde1ccf6eba7de33.jpg

I've tried in English and Spanish... nada.

Any ideas?

TIA

Edited by alacant

2 minutes ago, doublevodka said:

Shouldn't need an active cable for only a 3M run really, FLO has some non-active ones going up to 5M

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/search/for/usb+a+to+b+cable/

The post title states the OP is looking for cables over 3m.

I found this 5m one with the same type B plug but at 100 euros it's not cheap !!

But then found this for £7.34, but although 5m it doesn't state if its an active cable or not.  The Start Tech active cable is £85 off Amazon  or £42  from this listing on Amazon, but stock is limited  Or a 10m Active USB 3 cable from Lindy for £30.84 here

Hope that helps

Do you need or want USB3? If there's no real need then why not just use a USB2 cable? I know folk have mentioned the distance but if the USB2 works it'll certainly be more cost effective than an active cable.

Forgot to say and it may be obvious but a USB2 cable will fit and work fine in a USB3 port.

Edited by scotty38

6 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Do you need or want USB3

For taking video of a planet, it would be nice. Otherwise 5 minute frames of a galaxy present no problem over usb2.

Dunno. Still thinking...

To add....

USB2 is slower data than USB3. That makes it more tolerant of cable losses.

If you are sending relatively few commands, like controlling a mount and sending a few camera commands, a slow data rate is fine.
If you want to live stream high resolution video, you need a high data rate.

Cheap cables often give problems when pushed to the limit.
A 'known name' screened cable is essential.
The cheap stuff is best regarded as OK for low power charging, or a short length.

In the grand schemme of astrophotography spend, and few clear nights, why chance it?
If you have spent >£1000 on a scope, mount and camera, why fuss about even £100 on decent cables?

HTH, David.

4 minutes ago, alacant said:

For taking video of a planet, it would be nice. Otherwise 5 minute frames of a galaxy present no problem over usb2.

Dunno. Still thinking...

I was hoping you wouldn't say video but you just had to didn't you 🙂 🙂 

1 hour ago, alacant said:

OK and thanks for the reply.

I'm being particularly thick today so I can't find one.

It appears simple enough now I know what I'm looking for, but seems impossible to find.

A 3m active usb3 cable with these plugs at either end.

Screenshot_2023-04-04-16-33-38-331_com.google.android_apps.photos.thumb.jpg.d12167416f3c5362bde1ccf6eba7de33.jpg

I've tried in English and Spanish... nada.

Any ideas?

TIA

StarTech do this 5m version: StarTech.com 5m 15 ft Active USB 3.0 USB-A to USB-B Cable

Strangely, their 10m version is cheaper on Amazon's UK site. ;)

I got the 15m version of THIS ONE which came with a PSU, but I use it as an extension between the laptop & USB hub, rather than a direct connection to a camera or other piece of kit. 

Edited by Budgie1
Helps if you actually add the link to the text!