NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

3.3 Reducer measurement advice

3 hours ago, Stuart1971 said:

Yes, try and work out where the actual shoulder of the reducer is and yes it will be a couple of MM inside the T adapter….👍🏻

Brilliant and thanks once again.

I will bring everything down and alter once again.......

Job completed and now the wait for the weather......

Edited by KEJ

Managed to get a small break in the cloud. 

Steel ruler, 6.3 Reducer and A4 paper in hand, I took an approx measurement of 220mm FL, which I think equates to mine having or requiring a BF of 105mm or 107mm approx to the join between the Reducer and T-Adapter.

Optical train should now be set and hopefully clear skies tonight.

Thanks again for everyones comments and advice.

• Like 1

This was more of a test last night, but with the 6.3 Reducer at 105mm or 107mm to the join, I had a FL of 1304mm when it plate solved(info in App and FITs header file), which I believe equates to the Reducer working at 6.4 which is possibly the best I'm going to get.

Meade 2034mm FL 1304/2034 = 0.641

Sunflower Galaxy M63 Approx 27 million LY away and 100,000 LY wide.

Not the best image as I only managed about 50mins of data last night and a fair amount of fringing on the stars(just can't get the staff).

Captured using Meade 8" SCT with a 6.3 Reducer with a FL of 1304mm. ASI533 MC Pro, guided with the help of the ASIAIR.

Bortle 6.

M63a_Image23.jpg

Edited by KEJ

Well, the galaxy looks quite nice indeed.

Too bad about the stars.  It looks like the various color layers need shifted radially.  The shift grows with increasing distance from the center.  I recall Helmut Dersch had a feature in his Panorama Tools to do just that.

12 hours ago, Louis D said:

Well, the galaxy looks quite nice indeed.

Too bad about the stars.  It looks like the various color layers need shifted radially.  The shift grows with increasing distance from the center.  I recall Helmut Dersch had a feature in his Panorama Tools to do just that.

Thanks and I have never heard of that/him before.