SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Morning, 

whilst I’ve been gradually building my AP rig after years of visual I have decided to diversify down the EAA route and wondered what advice there is out there in terms of the OTA best suited for this, obviously I know F/7 or lower but which ??- I’ll be using the azi gti mount and tripod so payload is a factor, any advice welcome 

I currently use an 85mm refractor with a zwo asi290mm for my eea stuff and am quite happy with that. It also goes with me on an az gti/tripod as my grab and go. The mount just about manages, it actually moans and groans quite a lot but it gets there. My suggestion is, if you are considering a refractor, use an 80mm as a max on that mount. I understand that a mono camera is more sensitive than colour and with a smaller refractor the more sensitive the better. All the best.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

What is your budget? What fast focal ratio small telescopes do you have already?

What is your budget for a camera or do you have something already?

Fast focal OTA would need to be purchased - any ideas welcome 

Cam wise I’m looking at the zwo224

43 minutes ago, M40 said:

I currently use an 85mm refractor with a zwo asi290mm for my eea stuff and am quite happy with that. It also goes with me on an az gti/tripod as my grab and go. The mount just about manages, it actually moans and groans quite a lot but it gets there. My suggestion is, if you are considering a refractor, use an 80mm as a max on that mount. I understand that a mono camera is more sensitive than colour and with a smaller refractor the more sensitive the better. All the best.

Great advice thanks - I was considering the 80ed

31 minutes ago, Astro74 said:

Great advice thanks - I was considering the 80ed

👍have a good look at the stellamira 80mm in comparison to the skywatcher 80ed. It may be a tad more expensive but it seems to be significantly lighter.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M40 said:

👍have a good look at the stellamira 80mm in comparison to the skywatcher 80ed. It may be a tad more expensive but it seems to be significantly lighter.

I’ve heard it’s superb 

2 hours ago, Astro74 said:

Fast focal OTA would need to be purchased - any ideas welcome 

I have the SW az/eq 5 gt mount with a SW Espirit 80mm, (f5), ZWO 533pro OSC, great for everything except the very large DSO's, I would recommend

a Refractor and Sharpcap Software. Unless you have plenty of time & regular clear skies then I would steer clear of a Mono Camera, OSC is easier and more convenient.

Eric

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, M40 said:

I wonder how the 72ED would fair for EEA ?

I think everything is a playoff, it's going to be lighter so the mount maybe that little more accurate versus possible longer exposures so you may need the eq wedge. There is also a good chance you won't see the more faint galaxies but at the same time I can't see it being a problem for the brighter stuff thats out there. I think it really comes down to your targets and lets face it, the way the weather has been lately it will take years just to cover the brighter stuff. All the best. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Astro74 said:

Hi,

The only thing about this camera is the sensor is pretty small so will limit what you can see. Given you will be using a wide field scope, something a little bigger might be better?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Clarkey said:

Hi,

The only thing about this camera is the sensor is pretty small so will limit what you can see. Given you will be using a wide field scope, something a little bigger might be better?

It will be the 224 - it’s the best I have at the moment 

Hi there, I would recommend the Stella 80mm for EAA it’s a beauty well made and great focal, cam wise you should be fine with the 224 certainly for now it will do the job fine it’s a proven camera which is well matched to the frac or a good newt.

• Like 1

Thanks for this ..however after speaking to Rob Ince (local expert) I’ve deceive to go for the StarTravel 102 refractor which will suit my needs and budget perfectly- thanks again! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Astro74 said:

Thanks for this ..however after speaking to Rob Ince (local expert) I’ve deceive to go for the StarTravel 102 refractor which will suit my needs and budget perfectly- thanks again! 

I was tempted to suggest the Startravel 102, which is what I use for EAA, but I thought you were intent on buying a much more expensive ED scope.  I also use the ASI224MC with it.

41 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I was tempted to suggest the Startravel 102, which is what I use for EAA, but I thought you were intent on buying a much more expensive ED scope.  I also use the ASI224MC with it.

No not at all Geoff, always open to suggestions of what’s tried and tested 👍🏼 good to hear someone else is using this 

17 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

14 hours ago, Astro74 said:

Be good to know what people think of the 102 vs the 120 and whether he 120 would cope on the azi gti mount 

The 120 will give a slightly larger image scale, but a narrower field of view, and be 70% heavier.  More to the point, it will not show fainter objects in EAA mode than the 102, if the focal ratio is the same. 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Astro74 said:

Do you mean it won’t show more detail than the 102?

The 120 will have a larger image scale, which might or might not translate into slightly more resolution depending on its chromatic aberration, and the quality of seeing, especially nearer the horizon.  For the typical EAA target, resolution won't be a priority.

If high resolution is really a priority for you, you will need a much bigger aperture, an apochromatic, mirror or catadrioptic scope, and a better mount, in short a whole rabbit hole of expense. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

The 120 will have a larger image scale, which might or might not translate into slightly more resolution depending on its chromatic aberration, and the quality of seeing, especially nearer the horizon.  For the typical EAA target, resolution won't be a priority.

If high resolution is really a priority for you, you will need a much bigger aperture, an apochromatic, mirror or catadrioptic scope, and a better mount, in short a whole rabbit hole of expense. 

No it’ll be fine I’m sure Cheers for all your help