Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NGC2244 - Rosette Nebula (Only 2.5 hours)

WolfieGlos

I'm genuinely surprised at the outcome of this, I usually run a quick process after each session has been stacked to see what I have (and what more I need...), but I generally find I need at least 5hours with my setup, usually more.

But this is 28 x 300s subs (02:20) using a Canon 800d (modded) + Optolong l-eNhance, at the scopes native aperture of f/5.8.

Stacked with 30 flats + 50 biases, processed in Siril and noise reduced in Astrodenoisepy and some editing in GIMP. There are some artifacts from the noise reduction (namely areas of "blue noise" in the nebula), but I didn't realise that this target really is this bright? I collected 5 hours of data on M45 (no filter) for a worse result 🤷‍♂️

Anyway, I've had a go at using Starnet in this new beta version of Siril and recomposed the stars into the image, I think they need a bit more processing when I gather more data. But this new version of Siril also has a new tool called Star Resynthesis, which attempts to fix aberrations. I've used it on this image and it has mostly corrected tilted stars in all 4 corners! I'm a bit unsure if this the correct thing to do, but below is a view of the starmask before I used this tool. Does anyone else do this in Siril or other software? Any thoughts on it? Is it cheating?

Comments welcome :) 

100b-14-03-23-NGC2244TheRosetteNebula.thumb.jpg.5176bab653098187dfb01eecc2367570.jpg

image.png.405027d724d5af8473319edec8f5facc.png

• Like 10

I have slight bit of eggy ness on my stars, not that noticeable by its there. I've tried everything to really get the tilt out by adjusting my focuser and using a tilt plate and re-seating and aligning my focus tube. (see in my post to you on the wizard thread) I've got it to a very small amount but my eye picks it up straight away. Though I'm being very picky indeed 😂. So in Startools I use the repair module on my stars and warp to get them back to a round shape. Rightly or strongly this is what I do. 

I will look into the sirl re synthesis though. 

Lee

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

I have slight bit of eggy ness on my stars, not that noticeable by its there. I've tried everything to really get the tilt out by adjusting my focuser and using a tilt plate and re-seating and aligning my focus tube. (see in my post to you on the wizard thread) I've got it to a very small amount but my eye picks it up straight away. Though I'm being very picky indeed 😂. So in Startools I use the repair module on my stars and warp to get them back to a round shape. Rightly or strongly this is what I do. 

I will look into the sirl re synthesis though. 

Lee

Thanks Lee, to be honest I didn't realise it was a thing that you could correct the stars in this way. Always learning in this hobby 😆 I did find that Siril was deleting some stars using this new resynthesis tool (particularly doubles) but I'm sure some experimentation would sort that out.

• Like 1

On 17/03/2023 at 21:22, AstroNebulee said:

I've had a quick process of mine. Personally not sure if it's as good as yours though. But the data looks pretty much the same, mine with 2hrs 51 mins. 72ed AzGti eq mode, asiair pro and zwo asi294mc pro. 

Lee 

Ngc-2244-The-Rosette-Nebula-13+23-2-23-2hr-51-mins-combined_edit_87756724051712.jpg

Nice, I like yours :) And the stars too. I think mine might be too white in the middle but you have a lot of nice contrast at the top. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WolfieGlos said:

Nice, I like yours :) And the stars too. I think mine might be too white in the middle but you have a lot of nice contrast at the top. 

Thank you. We all process images in different ways and it's how you like your process that matters. My processing workflow has taken me a while to get to this stage and still learning. There's nothing wrong with yours at all. In photoshop I just use selective colour and move the top slider for the reds over to the left a bit and boosts the hydrogen. It's all just little tweaks and masking bits to boost contrast in certain areas, darken areas slightly. I use a USB pen and drawing board thing that really helps me. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1