Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Leo Triplet

jetstream

The sky was great all day and so I assumed the night would be too- and it twas- until it wasnt!

SQM-L showed 21.6mag

The TSA120 was cooled, along with the prism diag which has its own cooling time IMHO. The AZEQ6 cables get too brittle in cold weather so I use it manual alt az, I must find a dedicated alt az mount that will handle the 120mm.

The Leo " doublet" is very easy ie M65 and M66, the 3rd member is a bit harder NGC 3628 ie the Hamburger galaxy. The 42mm LVW picked up the 2 brighter ones immediately as I was dark adapting, and as my adaptation progressed got nice and bright. During this the ghost like NGC 3628 started to appear. Knowing what I needed the 16T5 came out and now it was in direct vision and easy to see. The 10mm BCO was too much at f7.5 on this diffuse nebula at 1.3mm exit pupil. Out came a 12.5mm and this seemed VG last night.

M81 and M82 were very very bright in the 16T5 and the core of M82 nicely mottled. I could see them in the Tak finder! I'm usually a Rigel user and the finder is a challenge for me.

@mikeDnight could you post your sketches of the Leo triplet and also M81/M82?

The evening ended quickly after a bunch of DSO observed in including the Merope. The sky hazed over so it was time to get into the newly modded hot tub which sat at 95F 😀

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 16

11 minutes ago, jetstream said:

M81 and M82 were very very bright in the 16T5 and the core of M82 nicely mottled. I could see them in the Tak finder! I'm usually a Rigel user and the finder is a challenge for me.

@mikeDnight could you post your sketches of the Leo triplet and also M81/M82?

Hi Gerry,

It's been a long time since I observed the three galaxies in Leo and I'm not sure if I've ever sketched them, but I will now.

I've drawn M81 & M82 many times over the years. Below are a couple of sketches made using the Tak FC100DC but on different nights having different seeing conditions and transparency. (The seeing scale that I use is the Antoniadi I to V rather than the Pickering scale, and where I = perfect and V = completely hopeless). In both instances the sketches represent a prolonged observation using averted vision and with good dark adaption. :happy11:

1749839953_2019-03-2608_26_06.jpg.bfa3c5f135ebfb5624bec3c0a77ea473.jpg.9e0945846da9632cffb037e1f0c35170.jpg.8a8ad371bdbddc74abaceeca0551e116.thumb.jpg.0bf4006c47480921e1d2320c198ab66e.jpg

2023-03-1414_28_16.thumb.jpg.66ac2ca90ab78c2348eaabd98e990f3f.jpg

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

It's been a long time since I observed the three galaxies in Leo and I'm not sure if I've ever sketched them, but I will now.

I've drawn M81 & M82 many times over the years.

Perfect! Thanks Mike- I can completely validate your two sketches, M82 basically identical in view and M81 very similar. Same size but I had the inner core shining in there in a tight glow (M81).

To get these views, in your suspected conditions is a testament to your ability.

Here under these vg conditions like last night, quick views brought the same detail basically.

Nice work Mike, Gerry

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How do you use your AZ-EQ6 in manual mode, Gerry? Just keep the clutches at a certain light tension (or totally loose?) and push it around? I occasionally use it that way but it’s irritating. I would guess it needs to be extremely well balanced in alt and the tripod head perfectly level to use without any friction at all.

Jealous of your weather, Magnus

• Like 2

@Captain ScarletJust got up and having a nice cup of coffee, waiting for the snow to come again. Today is all about snowmobiling.

Yes I just loosen the clutches and the Tak clamshell is a gift from above, install on mount open, close it with tube inside and slide to balance. The whole process doesnt take 2 minutes. I have a small SV mount but no where near up to the task of handling the 120mm's.

There are a couple places I graded with the skid loader that are flat so I set up there and the mount is automatically level in those spots, same goes for the 2 concrete obs pads I poured.

I'm currently exploring options for a manual alt az that will handle the bigger scopes.

Yes we are fortunate to get a nice mix of weather, including many days of clear and stable skies. The TSA120 is turning out to be an excellent DSO scope for its size, very nice throughput and contrast. Leo was low when I observed the triplet... this scope will put up a much better view of it soon.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JeremyS said:

You probably know this Gerry, but the AZ100 suits the TSA 120 perfectly. I use mine on a BB Uni 28 or Planet tripod 

Thanks Jeremy, I wasnt really aware because as a reflector guy (former :grin:) I didnt pay much attention. The Rowan looks superb- my concern is cold weather use ie -30c which I obs in all the time believe it or not. The Rowan looks very very precisely made and with gears?

My experience is some things work in the cold and some things dont, even down to thumbscrews in eyepiece adapters, focusers etc.

My Tak focuser works fantastic in the cold, tightening up just a tiny bit, some others wont work at all etc.

Thoughts Jeremy? Thanks

25 minutes ago, jetstream said:

Thanks Jeremy, I wasnt really aware because as a reflector guy (former :grin:) I didnt pay much attention. The Rowan looks superb- my concern is cold weather use ie -30c which I obs in all the time believe it or not. The Rowan looks very very precisely made and with gears?

My experience is some things work in the cold and some things dont, even down to thumbscrews in eyepiece adapters, focusers etc.

My Tak focuser works fantastic in the cold, tightening up just a tiny bit, some others wont work at all etc.

Thoughts Jeremy? Thanks

I don’t think you could find a better engineered mount than the Rowan. No idea about low temp use. There are quite a few on your side of the Atlantic so maybe some experience there. It’s also worth dropping the Rowan guys an email to ask their opinion.

Edited by JeremyS
  • Like 1