Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Monoceros complex with yet another bubble?

gorann

Over the last weeks I have aimed at different parts of the Monoceros complex with focus on some more or less unknown Oiii structures using IDAS NBZ filters (dualband Ha+Oiii) with my tripple-rig with two RASA8 and one Samyang 135.

Here is a mix of those data, totally 23 hours at f/2. In addition to the well-knowns It contains the Strottner-Dreschsler 155 object (I posted the RASA image yesterday) och the rarely imaged SNR G206.9+2.3 down to the right.

Now I think I also see a huge bluish bubble in the top left quadrant, maybe even covering the Cone Nebula. Is that just my imagination, and if not has anyone seen it before?

Cheers, Göran

20230227-03011 Monoceros SY135 mosaic A PS9smallSign.jpg

Edited by gorann
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Now I think I also see a huge bluish bubble in the top left quadrant, maybe even covering the Cone Nebula. Is that just my imagination, and if not has anyone seen it before?

The best way would be to remove the Ha from the signal and just look at the OIII. 

Adam 

• Like 1

Very dramatic image Gorann. The red a bit too red for my personal taste, but lovely detail in the nebulosity.

I am not sure about the large 'bubble'. There is quite a lot of general reflection nebulosity around there. I agree with @AdamJ - you need to separate it from the Ha emission and see what it looks like.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Adam J said:

The best way would be to remove the Ha from the signal and just look at the OIII. 

Adam 

Good idea Adam, so here is the image with the red channel deleted (Oiii is collected by both green and blue pixels in the OSC). Not sure it finally settles the question about an Oiii bubble. Interestingly I get the impression that a big chunk of dark nebulosity is covering part of the possible bubble.

20230227-03011 Monoceros SY135 mosaic A PS8b(deleted red channel) copy.jpg

1 hour ago, gorann said:

Good idea Adam, so here is the image with the red channel deleted (Oiii is collected by both green and blue pixels in the OSC). Not sure it finally settles the question about an Oiii bubble. Interestingly I get the impression that a big chunk of dark nebulosity is covering part of the possible bubble.

I think that is a possible rather than a probable at the moment Gorann.

It looks like there is something covering part of any bubble at the top left, but there is also a strong blue signal in a wavy line just above the Christmas Tree cluster that cuts across any bubble. It could be a very distorted part of a bubble, or a separate nebulosity cutting across, but it could also be that there are just a jumble of blue emissions scattered through the area.

How you would definitively tell, I don't know. Maybe someone knows how you could work it out?

4 hours ago, old_eyes said:

I think that is a possible rather than a probable at the moment Gorann.

It looks like there is something covering part of any bubble at the top left, but there is also a strong blue signal in a wavy line just above the Christmas Tree cluster that cuts across any bubble. It could be a very distorted part of a bubble, or a separate nebulosity cutting across, but it could also be that there are just a jumble of blue emissions scattered through the area.

How you would definitively tell, I don't know. Maybe someone knows how you could work it out?

I guess I need to collect more data one day...

3 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Wow, that's a lot of red! Incredible amount of detail.

I'm also curious to the target towards the bottom left corner, it almost looks like a mini Helix nebula but I can't locate anything in Stellarium?

Thanks and Yes, partly depending on the screen setting, it was a bit too red so here is a less saturated version

20230227-03011 Monoceros SY135 mosaic A PS10smallSign.jpg

3 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Wow, that's a lot of red! Incredible amount of detail.

I'm also curious to the target towards the bottom left corner, it almost looks like a mini Helix nebula but I can't locate anything in Stellarium?

PS. That thing down at the bottom left is PK204+04.1:

https://pbase.com/skybox/image/169014009

• Like 1