NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

How much to spend on a binocular for astronomy?

We are often asked, what is the minimum price someone should spend on a pair of binoculars for astronomy? Where do quality binoculars start?

Our recommendation for the cheapest good quality binocular for astronomy is the Opticron 8x40 Aspheric WA porroprism.

Price £75

opticron_aspheric_wa_8x40.jpg

It succeeds for a number of reasons: It uses porroprisms - at this price that is important because when compared to roof-prisms the traditional porroprism has one-less reflecting surface and the light doesn't go out of phase. The prism-blocks are also quite large and are made from Bak-4 glass for greater light transmission (don't be persuaded that Bak-4 glass alone will suffice, the prisms must also be a good size). The optics are fully multicoated and the eyepieces feature an aspheric lens element for a wide field-of-view.

Mechanically it scores well too having a nice fit and finish with a tactile rubber coating and convenient twist-up eyecups. Eye-relief is a good 14mm so spectacle wearers will find them comfortable.

We had hoped to find a 10x50 with similar specs. Nevertheless, this 8x40 binocular has a useful magnification, a 5mm exit-pupil diameter and the increased FOV is pleasing and helps when navigating the sky.

So, if you are looking for your first affordable binocular for astronomy then you have found it! If you already own a £20-40 binocular and are looking to upgrade, you will see a clear and appreciable increase in brightness, contrast and overall performance.

If you buy one and don't agree then return it within 30 days, in its original packaging, for a full-refund :icon_salut:

For details of this and other binoculars for astronomy please visit our website.

HTH

If its a 10x50 you are after then the Helios Naturesport Plus 10x50 ticks all the same boxes as the Opticron Aspheric 8x40 (large Bak-4 porroprisms, fully multicoated optics, wide field, twist-up eyecups, long eye-relief and 5mm exit-pupil) but costs an extra £10. Actually, it is so similar to the Opticron that it might even have come from the same stable...

It was also voted winner in a BBC Sky at Night magazine group-test of binoculars below £125.

Price £85

Helios_Naturesport_Plus_10x50_binocular.jpg

As with the Opticron, if after buying one you don't agree that it is the bees-knees then return it within 30 days for a full refund :smiley:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just bought a pair of Opticron Aspherics a month or so ago and have to say I'm very pleased with them. They were an upgrade from some 7dayshop 12x50 porros and they are far superior in every way.

Viewing wise it's been easy to see Jupiter's moons except when they're really close to the planet. I saw all 4 last night with ease as they were well spaced out. I also managed to split the double star Albireo by holding them firmly against a tree trunk. The Andromeda galaxy is also viewable most nights at the moment but only as a faint smear from my light polluted city location.

Another plus for me was close focusing. I wanted porros but generally roof prism bins focus closer. These focus down to a respectable 2m so good for bird watching too.

I had no need or use for waterproof / nitrogen filled bins and imagine that such must add significantly to price tags. These aren't waterproof so the costs must be all in the optics which suits me fine.

There's another review on this site comparing them to a much more expensive pair of Opticrons and these are preferred because of their wider views.

Good to see they won that award.

• 11 months later...

Archived