NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Opticron Binocular Comparison.

Binocular Comparison March 2009.

Between Opticron 8x42 SR GA and Opticron 8x40 Aspheric

(Wide Angle).

Last summer I bought a pair of Opticron 8x42 SR GA binoculars from a “car boot” sale (in Weymouth) for £55.00. They proved such a quality binocular, that I fancied going for another Opticron model I’d recently seen advertised. These were 8x40 fitted with “Aspheric” Objective lenses, which gives them a wider field of view. I reasoned that if they were as good as the second hand SR GA’s, and with the added benefit of a wider field of view, they would be my ideal binocular for astronomical use – and useful for terrestrial use too.

Various companies were offering them for around £69 to £79. I eventually bought mine from a company called “Focuspoint” in Cheshire, who offered to match the cheapest price I could get them on the internet for (£69 inc VAT). I went to pick them up in person, so I could give them a good try before buying. I like binoculars to feel comfortable as well as provide good views.

When I tried them the first thing that gave me cause for concern was the “twist up” eyecups. Because they are quite “thick” they felt uncomfortable against the sides of my nose. It was as if there wasn’t enough room to get my nose (which isn’t particularly big!) in-between the eyepieces. After being used to the thin rubber eyesheilds of my second hand SR GA’s, these new eyepiece cups felt decidedly strange. I was a bit put off at this stage. Before I made my decision to buy, I tried the “Aspheric” 8x40’s against a pair of Opticron 8x40 “Vega” binoculars. The crispness of views were identical, but the increase in width of field of view was dramatic in the “Aspheric’s.” On seeing this, I decided to buy them.

The specifications of the two Opticron models are:-

Opticron 8x42 SR GA

Field of view 6.3˚ (330ft at 1,000ft)

Diameter of Objective Lens 42mm

Exit Pupil = 5.25mm

All glass and prism surfaces fully multi coated.

Eye Relief 16mm

Near Focus 15 metres.

Prisms BAK 4.

Binocular Body Rubber Armoured.

Weight of Binoculars 670 grms.

Weight with Case 870 grms.

Opticron 8x40 “Aspheric”

Wide Angle.

Field of view 8.2˚ (430ft at 1,000ft).

Diameter of Objective Lens 40mm

Aspheric Objective Lens.

Exit Pupil = 5mm

All glass and prism surfaces fully multi coated.

Eye Relief 14mm

Near Focus 3 metres.

Prisms BAK 4.

Binocular Body Rubber Armoured.

Weight of Binoculars 710 grms.

Weight with Case 950 grms.

I have not given figures for Brightness, Resolution or Contrast, because factors such as optical coatings, types of glass and prisms used and quality of optics, can influence these attributes in a binocular. All I can say is that when compared to a pair of "bog standard" 8x30’s I have (made by “Miranda”), the difference in Contrast, Brightness, and Resolution is very noticeable in both Opticron models. Strangely the Miranda binoculars have as wide a field of view as the “Aspheric’s!”

Anyway, back to the comparison test. The Opticron 8x40 “Aspheric” binoculars have an 8.2˚ wide field of view (430ft at 1,000ft). I managed to test them on a clear night and noticed that I could get the three stars in Orion’s Belt, and the Nebulosity in the “sword” in the same field of view. The Opticron SR GA’s had a noticeably narrower field (6.3˚ - 330ft at 1,000ft) – not quite getting the same amount of Orion into the view.

I’m still not quite used to the “twist up” eye cups on the Opticron “Aspheric” Binoculars. They feel a bit tight (ish!) against the sides of bridge of my nose. I prefer the traditional fold rubber eye shields on the SR GA’s. (Although, the twist up eyecups are easier to adjust). The SR GA's are fitted with a "captive" (attached to the carrying strap)"rain guard" which fits over the eyepieces. This is useful to protect the eyepieces, but does get in the way sometimes! This model may have had objective lens caps when new. The "Aspheric's" are fitted with individual Objective lens, and eyepiece caps. I found these quite tight to remove (The manager of "Focalpoint" had difficulty in removing particularly the Objective lens caps - so much so that removing one actually pulled the rubber away from one of the lenses! He simply pushed the rubber back easy enough). I have decided to leave the lens caps off - the case will protect the binoculars when not in use.

Both binoculars were easy to use, and felt comfortable to hold for long periods. The "Aspheric's" feel a bit more bulkier than the SR GA's - although this does not detract in any way from the pleasure and comfort of using them. Focusing was precise on both models. They are equal in Contrast, and Resolution, but for some reason the “Aspheric’s” seem to give a slightly brighter view (even though the exit pupil on the SR GA’s is 0.25mm wider).

At 16mm, eye relief is better on the Opticron SR GA’s, but is perfectly OK on the “Aspheric’s.” I tried both models with my night driving spectacles on, and both performed fine, giving a full field of view with the eyecups folded/twisted fully in. The “Aspheric’s” focus right down to just under 3 metres. (I don’t know where this feature will be used). Both binoculars have a tripod fitting at the front.

Despite the Opticron “Aspheric’s” being advertised as having crispness of image across a greater portion of the field of view, I could not detect any difference between the “Aspheric’s” and the SR GA’s. Both appeared to give a crisp view up to about the last 2 of 3% of the field of view. There are no internal reflections. The views one gets are surrounded by total blackness, making the objects you are observing appear to really "stand out." Stars are jewel like pinpoints. There is very little “barrel” distortion at the edges of the field of view. I could not detect any colour fringing either. Both models make it a pleasure just to scan around the night skies. Both have moulded rubber covered bodies (the "Aspheric's" have shallow finger and thumb mouldings on the body), which provide a comfortable and secure grip.

The “Aspheric” binoculars have a “hard case” in which Opticron have placed two stiff side pieces. These are “velcroed” to the sides. They make it difficult to remove the binoculars from their case, and especially difficult to put them back – so much so that I removed them! The SR GA binoculars have a much nicer “soft” case, allowing easier use and storing of the binoculars. Both binoculars have long straps, which are nice and wide to make carrying them around your neck, very easy and comfortable.

All in all, both Opticron models are very nice binoculars, which are a pleasure to use, giving very crisp, bright, contrasty views. The latest version of the SR GA model cost in the region of £180 .00. The “Aspheric” model costs around £70. I would say that as such, the “Aspheric” model is excellent value for money – especially for the fact that is does have a significantly wider field of view.

Regards,

Philsail1.

post-13436-133877360592_thumb.jpg

post-13436-133877360594_thumb.jpg

post-13436-133877360596_thumb.jpg

post-13436-133877360598_thumb.jpg

I like reading good reviews on any binoculars, and that was a very good review in all respects. I wish I could write them like that.

I found it very informative.

Thank you for taking the time.

I didn't realise that focalpoint was only down the M62 from me. I wouldn't mind a visit,without the credit card of course.

Glen.

That is a good review Phil! :)

I confess I wasn't expecting it to be so favourable but am delighted that it is. Normally when sub-£100 binoculars promise a wide field of view the extra field is often unusable, but Opticron appear to have cracked it!

We have added the Opticron Aspheric WA to our range of binoculars.

:mad:

Thanks Glen:- "Focalpoint" are primarily a "Wedding Photography" service! but when I visited I could see that they also do a huge rage of Binoculars, Spotting scopes and accessories! A chat with their proprieter confirmed this. They do not do much with actual astronomical scopes, but do deal with Adam Hinds from Celestron.

Thank you too Steve! Yes, I would say that Opticron have indeed somehow managed to produce a quality binocular with a very good (and eminently usable) wide field. Great news that you have added them to your range.

Best wishes,

philsail1.

• 4 months later...

First post!

Great review Phil :). I am looking at getting my first "proper" pair of bins for wildlife viewing, hill-walking navigation, star-gazing. Maybe I'll need 3 pairs! Reviews like this by knowledgeable, impartial people take much of the risk out of purchases, especially of second-hand stuff from Ebay. Thanks again for taking the time and trouble.

PS I am fascinated by butterflies and insects so for my "wildlife" bins I'm looking at Pentax Papilio. For general use/ hill-walking navigation I'm looking at zoom bins, despite being warned away by most independent reviewers. Since I'll be carrying them, I should probably go for (lighter) roof prisms. For stargazing/night-use, Bresser 8x56 - Lidle occasionally do them for £80.

Hi Phil - many many thanks for such a detailed and comprehensive review. I confess, I have never even considered a pair of "small" binoculars but you seemed to make them sound very attractive.

Good information and excellent pictures ! Thanks

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

To Philsail

Your report on the Opticron 8X40 Aspheric binoculars was interesting. I have been thinking of buying a replacement for my old 7X50s which were badly damaged and my Russian 12X40s which I lent and were never returned.

Passing a local shop I saw the Opticrons in the window and so I enquired and had a good look at them, compared them to others and finally bought them.

Both their lightness and the wide field of view suit me perfectly their clarity when compared with my existing my ancient 9X63s is definitely superior. And so thanks for your information. It was very helpful and enabled me to examine rather than buying "blind" by mail order.

One point to remember for other would-be buyers that these binoculars, in common with most others, the FOV stated by the makers is always rather optimistic and is probably the theoretical FOV. These Opticrons although marked as 8.2 deg. have an actual field of about 7.2 deg. It is worth checking against a star field of known size, e.g. the Belt in Orion which is 3 deg. wide.

Lawrie

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for your comments "Lawrie." I too have found the Opticron 8x40 "Aspherical's" a nice binocular for scanning around the heavens. Yes, I agree the Field of View is perhaps a little optimistic, but they do have a FOV significantly wider than the 6.3 degree FOV on my other pair of Opticron 8x42's.

For the price, the 8x40 "aspherical's" are a nice instrument. Lightweight, comfortable to hold, easy to focus with superb views.

Regards,

philsail1

Archived